Terminal Server not showing in RWW, domain user

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Terminal Server not showing in RWW, domain user

We have a Terminal Server on our SBS 2003 network so remote users can access QuickBooks. The Terminal Server is in an OU called 'Terminal Servers' and group policies have been applied to lock it down.

The terminal server also shows up in the SBS Server Management console as a 'Server Computer' If I log onto RWW as the administrator the Terminal Server shows up as an availble server desktop I can log on to.

The problem is with regular users. I have regular domain users that need to access the TS from RWW but only the client computers show up. I do not want to move the server from the OU because I have group policies created. How do I get the Terminal Server to show up as an available desktop to a regular SBS user?

Thanks,
    Network Engineers do IT under the desk

Re: Terminal Server not showing in RWW, domain user

How about giving the users a direct (RDP) link to the TS by adding a different port?
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

15 users in five differen cities access the Terminal Server directly over site-to-site VPN. There are a few network users, i.e. outside accountant that accesses the network by terminal server. Whne he in on location, direct acces is fine. When he is at his outside office or residence, RWW is the preferred way if we can get the terminal server to show up.

Comment

Did you add the TS using the Add Computer Wizard? If not, it probably won't show up in RWW, so go back and UTFW.
        TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
        http://www.wintra.co.il/
        sigpic
        Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

SBS 2003 uses the Set Up Server Wizard for adding a terminal server which links to Connect Computer Wizard. Yes I used this but the terminal server has to be locked down so you have to move it out of the SBSSERVERS OU and into its own OU to apply Group Policies for this server.

In any event, the problem is not with it not showing up in RWW, it shows up in RWW if you log on as an administrator. Any Domain User cannot see servers whether they are SBSSERVERS (members) or Terminal Servers.

Connecting them though the Connect Computer is not the solution because Domain Users still do not see 'servers'. There has to be a permission to allow a regular user to see the list of servers they are able to connect to. Even if a Domain User coud see the available servers, only members of the TSUSERS group would be able to log on.

I did not think a problem as simple as this would turn out to be so complex. Surely people have networks with member servers that show up in RWW that regular users can log onto.

Any network I have with multiple member servers do not show up in RWW when a Domanin USer logs on. All they have access to are desktop computers.

Thanks
          Last edited by RobW; 16th May 2010, 20:57.

Comment

Connecting a TS Server through ConnectComputer is what the wizard instructs you to do:

Create computer account(s):
            - TS-TEST

IP Address Configuration:
            - The IP address will be automatically assigned by using
            DHCP.

To finish setting up the server, go to the server, start
            Internet Explorer, and type
            http://<ServerName>/ConnectComputer in the Address bar.
            If it still does not show up try here
            TIA

sigpic
            Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

Comment

It was a Server 2008 TS and this turns out to be the fix:

http://msmvps.com/blogs/bradley/arch...03-server.aspx

Comment

Nice find
                Rep++
                Tom Jones
                MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                IT Trainer / Consultant
                Ossian Ltd
                Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by RobW View Post
                  It was a Server 2008 TS and this turns out to be the fix:

http://msmvps.com/blogs/bradley/arch...03-server.aspx
                  Please! Tell us ALL the info at the beginning. It helps reach the solution quicker
                  TIA

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by teiger View Post
                    Please! Tell us ALL the info at the beginning. It helps reach the solution quicker
                    What? Is psychic info stopped at your borders too?
                    1 1 was a racehorse.
                    2 2 was 1 2.
                    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Sorry I forgot to specify what terminal server it was, but on the other side of the coin, no one asked either

Either way, I appreciate all the replies and help both in this post and others.

Thanks,

Comment

Originally posted by RobW
                        but on the other side of the coin, no one asked either
                        In the world of TCP/IP it is the responsibility of the SENDER to make sure that the correct data is sent. This same criteria should also apply to people posting questions.

I am NOT pointing the finger at anyone but the habit of not supplying all the necessary information required to diagnose a problem and provide a possible solution is becoming an all to common occurance lately. Anyone reading this please take note. We are here to help in our FREE time and the more info that is supplied the faster your problem is solved and the better you look in your bosses/clients eyes.

Drip feeding information is also another one that makes diagnosing difficult.

Please keep the above in mind. Thanks.
                        1 1 was a racehorse.
                        2 2 was 1 2.
                        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
                        X