X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggestions please on how to set this up

Hi all

Ok, SBS 2008 client. Handful of users.

Before I came along they were using PC's in a workgroup, with one being the nomiated "server" and each with Outlook via POP3 from the ISP.

There was a single email address they all used, and each had a PST file of around 12GB containing the same emails and contacts as the rest, and this PST file was on each user's PC.

So, I came along, installed SBS 2008, got them on a domain and storing files on the server with backups.

We also agreed to 2 more email addresses which multiple people would use.

However, they will not agree to let me change their email to Exchange. Absolute no, just will not have it.

So, I settled for moving all their PSTs onto the server. However, we are getting the associated problems with this as the server randomly hangs and stuff like that.

I dont want to move their PST files back to the PC's as they would not be backed up.

I started looking at a mixed POP3/Exchange scenario...using a 3rd party pop3 connector (not the one included with SBS as it only pops every 15 mins).

Each user would have their own mailbox/email address and as multiple people need access to all 3 email addresses they would be distribution groups.

What do you think?

Is there anyway I can get Outlook/Exchange to set each user's primary email address as that of a distribution group, automatically? So if UserA sends an email it appears to have come from [email protected], and if UserB sends it appears to have come from [email protected], etc.

Re: Suggestions please on how to set this up

PST files on fileshares are an unsupported configuration.
    Using Exchange is the way to go. If they don't want it ask them why...
    Marcel
    Technical Consultant
    Netherlands
    http://www.phetios.com
    http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
    "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
    "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

I know (now)...I explained all the benefits of Exchange over POP etc but they just have this irrational fear of moving away from their ISP.

Comment

sell them on costs & technicals:
        The cost of having their isp & the cost of backing up 12GB on 12 workstations daily & fdact that pst on network is unsupported
        vs the cost of running exchange (which is already there) and backing up much less data daily..

but I agree - they may have a reason for them..
        Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Believe me I HAVE tried.

Simple fact is they dont understand the technical side of it enough to care, enough they have lost entire PST files before I arrived on the scene due to corruption.

They pay some american ISP $50 a year which in their eyes, gives them what they need - a couple email addresses, webmail which never fails, and thats it.

I have just had to spend all evening moving 4x 12GB PST files back to their local PC's becuase its just killing the network/server, so kind of back to square 1.

I think its partially a trust issue with me, being the new IT guy on the scene (although they never had one before). I'm saying to them there is a bloody good reason why 99% of companies use some form of managed mail system like Exchange, and that even if they dont understand the technical blurb, to trust me it WILL be better and safer.

After saying they fully understand, still get the same response. Le sigh.

Well, it's them who will be paying through the nose if I have to keep doing patch up jobs like this, but for the meatime I need to make it work the best I can within their constraints.

So any suggestions? lol.

Comment

Originally posted by hongman View Post
            Each user would have their own mailbox/email address and as multiple people need access to all 3 email addresses they would be distribution groups.

What do you think?

Is there anyway I can get Outlook/Exchange to set each user's primary email address as that of a distribution group, automatically? So if UserA sends an email it appears to have come from [email protected], and if UserB sends it appears to have come from [email protected], etc.
            What I'm about to say is going to be terribly vague, but I hope it will at least get some discussion on the topic going. I think SharePoint might be the way to go here. You can set up a group to receive email and it's all tied into SharePoint and people can send out from that address. Bah! Wish I could be more specific. Haven't been able to look more into it myself.

Originally posted by hongman View Post
            Well, it's them who will be paying through the nose if I have to keep doing patch up jobs like this,
            Exactly. I'm completely against doing patch jobs and not implementing full-fledged solutions just so a person can get recurring income... however I'm completely in favor of letting the customer feel the pain that not allowing the IT pro to implement a full-fledged solution causes. Eventually they'll look at their yearly accounts payable and see a shocking number being paid to you and stop calling (less headaches for you) or ask for a better solution (less headaches for you). Or, they'll keep calling and you'll have a headache put at least have enough money to buy a nice, large bottle of Aspirin.
            Wesley David
            LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
            -------------------------------
            Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
            Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
            Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
            Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

Sharepoint....

I really have never used it, lol. I wonder...

I would rather receive less money and get on Exchange. IMO, sooner or later they will feel resentment towards me charging this fortune to keep their emails going whether its actually my fault or not and that leads to a bad client relationship, which could well affect reoccuring income long term.

Feel like strangling them. Honestly.

Anyone with a bit more inout on this Sharepoint idea? Sounds promising.

Comment

I have this argument with pretty much every client that gets SBS and is using POP3. I have even had this argument with other service companies who get me in to deploy SBS because they are out of their depth (usually a small mom and pop company that has started to grow).

It comes down to two issues.

1. Fear of the unknown/using what they know
                2. ISP/Service Company putting up barriers due to financial interest.

I wrote this article on why you shouldn't use the POP3 connector a few years ago, and it covers most of the usual arguments.
                http://blog.sembee.co.uk/post/Why-yo...Connector.aspx

For most ISPs, email is not a priority. They don't want anything to do with it. Here in the UK there have been more than one instance where a major ISP has lost their entire email cluster - which is in reality a single machine with a lot of space. I used to work above an ISP and their technicians would cheerfully say that if they had a powercut and the email system went down, it almost certainly wouldn't come back again.

I don't think that Sharepoint is going to be the solution here, unless you can drop the ISP support. Everything is based around SMTP delivery, that is how Exchange is designed to work.
                If they lost email due to PST corruption, then that is something to work on. PSTs get corrupt - it is a fact of life. They are impossible to backup reliably due to their limitations and corruptions are impossible to spot. It can often be the case that the corruption occurred months ago.
                Get the data inside Exchange and you have more recovery options.

As for the argument about sticking with the ISP - simply ask the question about what they would do if the ISP went away. ISP failure is very common, look at AOL - a company that is simply lost. Host everything yourself, it is under your control and if you don't like the company providing your Internet access, change to another one.

Simon.
                --
                Simon Butler
                Exchange MVP

Blog: http://blog.sembee.co.uk/
                More Exchange Content: http://exchange.sembee.info/
                Exchange Resources List: http://exbpa.com/
                In the UK? Hire me: http://www.sembee.co.uk/

Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.

Comment

Working...
                X