Please Critique My ReInstall Plan

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please Critique My ReInstall Plan

Curious what the pros think about my plan.

I have a very small client (9 workstations) on SBS 2003. The installation has numerous problems, DHCP won't start, WSUS won't run, I have to manually set DNS on the workstations because of the DHCP issue, Exchange was installed but all services have been disabled, the list goes on and on. Previous IT provider didn't do a real good job.

The Server is an older Dell Power Edge with a PERC 5 RAID controller. The array is RAID 5 partitioned as the C: and D: drive. I have backups of everything including System State and the C: drive. All my data and shares are on the D: partition and I only have a few programs on the C: drive which will be installed from scratch rather than restored from the backup.

I plan on reformating the C: partion and do a standard wizard driven reinstall of SBS, (Exchange will be installed but not used at this time) after updating the OS and applying some tweaks I was planning on doing a System State restore to get AD back. At this point, all I should have to do is reinstall a couple of apps, make sure workstations can log in, install and share the printers, (there's only two) and a few housekeeping chores and then I should be pretty good to go. Right???

Please let me know if I missed anything or if there are any gotcha's I need to watch for.

Thanks

Re: Please Critique My ReInstall Plan

TBH, with problems and with only 9 workstations, I would go for a fresh AD install, rejoin the PCs and know you are in a clean situation!
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by toleolu View Post
      Previous IT provider didn't do a real good job.
      It's amazing what people can get away with and still make money.

I plan on reformating the C: partion and do a standard wizard driven reinstall of SBS,
      Make sure to make a full disk image before doing this. At least image the D partition. I once had an SBS 2008 installation wipe out a partition that I could have sworn I did not tell it to. Maybe I was tired... but I thought I told the installation to install on one volume and it ended up on the other.

Standard safety procedures.

And yes, do a thorough documentation of AD objects and consider the possibility of wiping it down clean and starting from scratch. Your client might balk at the extra work and billable hours, but maybe not if they've been plagued with problems for the last 5 years or more with the SBS 2003 machine.
      Wesley David
      LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
      -------------------------------
      Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
      Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
      Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
      Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

Thanks for the replies, and to be honest I was really leaning toward redoing AD from scratch, it's such a small network that it really won't take that long, I can practically do it in my sleep. And I really would rather not restore anything from the old installation.

Thanks again, really good forum, appreciate the help.

Comment

No problem
          Just remember, since this is SBS, UTFW
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

UTFW? Definition plz?

Comment

Originally posted by Wired View Post
              UTFW? Definition plz?
              Use The Fantastic Wizard

...or something like that.
              Wesley David
              LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
              -------------------------------
              Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
              Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
              Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
              Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

Oh no, not again.....
                Utilise That Famous Warlock
                ...or something like that.
                Tom Jones
                PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                IT Trainer / Consultant
                Ossian Ltd
                Scotland

Comment

Thanks for the replies, and to be honest I was really leaning toward redoing AD from scratch, it's such a small network that it really won't take that long, I can practically do it in my sleep. And I really would rather not restore anything from the old installation.

Thanks again, really good forum, appreciate the help.
                  IMHO if AD is OK, use swing migration. Otherwise reinstall from scratch. Going round and redoing even as little as 9 workstations can be a real PITA.
                  Last edited by teiger; 11th May 2010, 16:39. Reason: Spelling
                  TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
                  http://www.wintra.co.il/
                  sigpic
                  Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

I recently did a simular thing for a customer. The old server hardware was failing, and the company changed hands (new owner, new company name).

It was an easy decision for me because the customer also wanted to change the active directory name and as far as I know that is a royal pain in the butt.

To me it made sense to purchase a new SBS 2008 Dell server and start from scratch. It was all done over a weekend, no downtime for the customer.

One thing that I missed in planning though was their time keeping software runs as an internal website in IIS. Was not compatable with 64bit OS. I had to virtualize a regular 2003 server to run the old software.

Comment

People in IT are weird! I mean do we actually LIKE working weekends? Do we get paid extra for it?
                      There IS life outside of IT, for goodness sake!
                      TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
                      http://www.wintra.co.il/
                      sigpic
                      Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Working...
                      X