Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Server Backup

Hi all

SBS2008 using Windows Server Backup on a single External HDD.

Client wants weekly backups only, however the Server Backup wizard only allows daily.

So I set that, went into Scheduled Tasks and set it to Weekly. All looking good there.

On the Backup Console though it still says "Everyday" - so...which is it?

Have I somehow now confused the server by setting the schedule twice, from different places?

Re: Server Backup

One thing you should know about SBS is that it hates for anything to be done outside of the prescribed SBS console. I know, I know... it grates against our SysAdmin tendencies to be creative. It also grates against Real Life since in many instances you can't fit things into a pretty little box. But I digress...

What you shold do is go into the backup control panel and attempt a restore. See what days are lit up on the restore calendar and then you'll know if it's weekly or not. The Server Backup Wizard is probably incapable of reporting on the schedule if it's outside of it's preset possibilities.

Always be wary when going outside of SBSs comfort zone. When the SBS box isn't comfortable, ain't nobody comfortable.
    Wesley David
    LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
    -------------------------------
    Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
    Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
    Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
    Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

Dont I know it...I remember on my first SBS2008 install when I set all the IP details myself (as I'd did in SBS2003) and the relevant wizards all went haywire on me.

I did hit restore as you said and still waiting for the "please wait" bar to go away...been there for 10 mins already :/

Raid 5 with 8GB Ram no less.

Comment

I suppose you could forgo the SBS console all together and create a backup plan using the Windows Server Backup control panel. Just make sure to document that you use that instead of the console because now the console is rendered relatively useless as far as the backup portion is concerned.

I tried at administer updates through the WSUS control panel and rendered the SBS console's update portion useless. Not a big deal since the WSUS control panel is better, IMO. Still annoying.
        Wesley David
        LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
        -------------------------------
        Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
        Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
        Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
        Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

Working...
        X