Install SBS 2003 Without Exchange

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Install SBS 2003 Without Exchange

I've been trying to get a definitive answer to the question "How best to install SBS 2003 without Exchange Server?" and was hoping there would be some reference material here that you could point me to.

I know this is not best practices but my client does not want to deal with hosting their email right now and the POP3 connector is not an option due to the 15 min poll time involved. I know there are third party POP connectors out there, but I really don't want to go that route at this point.

I am dealing with a very small client who has been poorly served by their previous IT service provider. There are so many things wrong with the current install that wiping everything and re-installing is the best option. Exchange is currently installed but all exchange services have been disabled. All users run Outlook 2003 and POP their email from the company hosting their website.

Any suggestions or links to reference material would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Re: Install SBS 2003 Without Exchange

Teiger will know better than me, but AFAIK with the level of integration in SBS 2003 it is recommended that all components be installed. With everything being wizard driven you may get unexpected behaviour, particularly from the CEICW.

I would install SBS with default/required settings, tell Exchange to use the POP3 connector and then just not configure anything in the POP3 Connector settings and leave the client PCs as they are as far as possible. They are going to have to be re-joined to the new domain though if you do get out the big hammer. This makes it easy to implement Exchange in the future if they wish and also prevents any unpredictability.
    BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
    sigpic
    Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Personally I would install Exchange and leave it unconfigured. I don't see this as presenting any problems. Exchange won't have any knowledge that the users are configured to POP to an external email provider and Outlook will have no knowledge that the Exchange server exists.

Comment

Thanks for both suggestions, I like the idea of specifying POP instead of Exchange and then just leaving it alone. Thanks for the tip.

Rejoining the workstations to the domain is not a big issue, (there's only 9). My big problem is the fact they have their RAID 5 partitioned as the C: and D: drive. It's a Dell Server with a PERC 5 Raid Controller but unless I am mistaken, installing the PERC drivers during the OS install shouldn't affect the Array Configuration on the controller. As long as I leave that alone, once the driver installs, the controller should still present two logical drives to Windows. Can anyone confirm that for me?? And yes, I have and will have, valid, tested backups of everything.

Thanks again.

Comment

Perhaps you could make a case for your client about how unsecure a POP password is when sent through the Net.

With Exchange configured you can set Outlook to check for mail every minute if necessary. The mail will come to the Exchange Server as soon as it is sent. It also has a lot of nice features that can be utilised as well.

Want to learn more about SBS2003 then look no further. http://www.trainsignal.com/Small-Bus...ining-P19.aspx
          1 1 was a racehorse.
          2 2 was 1 2.
          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

I agree with what you say concerning the security, and as I mentioned in my first post, I realize not using Exchange is not best practices.

However, as I mentioned also, I am dealing with a very small client who was poorly served by their previous IT provider. Email is one of the few things that IS working and they want to leave it as is.

I am certain that once I get SBS reinstalled and all the other annoying problems (DHCP won't start, WSUS won't run, DNS has issues, etc etc) go away due to all the hacks, workarounds, and other "fixes" the previous IT provider put it, this client will be more receptive to looking at all the benefits provided by SBS. Baby steps for now, raise the clients comfort level, then move forward.

Thanks again to all for your suggestions.

Comment

Originally posted by toleolu
              Baby steps for now....
              That sounds like a very good plan.
              1 1 was a racehorse.
              2 2 was 1 2.
              1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
              2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Whilst I definitely don't like the idea of SBS running without Exchange, and I agree with the posts above on the whole, there are 2 aspects that have not been mentioned; one positive and one less so!
                If you do not install exchange, at all, then all the administrative alerts, monitoring reports etc will not be able to reach you, and you (as their presumably external IT will be working half-blind). So as a minimum, install Exchange, let it run, define yourself as a Contact in AD and ensure that Administrator can send you the reports.
                The other item you will need to take care of is that the connection of the computers to the domain pushes the Exchange profile out to the stations - not what you desire, if I understand correctly. Not only that, but the single line in the login script makes sure that the profile has Exchange as its default account every time you log in - so you would have to neutralise that also.

Let us know how it goes!
                TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
                http://www.wintra.co.il/
                sigpic
                Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Working...
                X