Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• memory usage and sqlservr.exe

SBS 2008 test system

1. Is sqlservr.exe running for SBS2008 functionality? As I have not setup any software to use it and it's running in the process and taking 3.3Gb of RAM.

2. I have 8Gb of RAM on our test system and have it up and running with a standard setup out of the box with one user. This morning it's using 90% of the memory.

This only concerns me as the system is doing little (1% processor usage on a quad core 3.8ghz). Does SBS grow to use memory more like linux systems do? As in the Windows world such a spike in memory is usually concerning for a simple system.

I'm going to kill the sqlservr.exe process to see what it really affects (just curious). When we buy the retail system it's going to be the Standard Edition which doesn't even offer MS SQLSERVER but again, I'm just not sure if the OS runs it for it's own needs in SBS.

Re: memory usage and sqlservr.exe

SBS 2008 installs SQL Server 2005 Express Edition for monitoring and reporting (instance name = SERVERNAME\SBSMONITORING) and SQL 2005 Embedded Edition for Windows Sharepoint Services 3.0 (see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Internal_Database)

Hope it helps

Comment

Originally posted by carboncow View Post
      I'm going to kill the sqlservr.exe process to see what it really affects
      Please don't. Just stop the service so the DB will be shut down in clean and nice way.

-vP
      Last edited by vonPryz; 2nd May 2010, 19:02. Reason: Fixed quotes

Comment

It's a "bug" in SBS though I haven't seen any updates that resolve the issue, but I have posted a blog here that explains how to limit the amount of RAM that the instance can use.

I've seen a system with 16GB RAM be completely flattened by the instance using everything it could. Once the limit was applied the box began to hum along nicely.

Comment

Originally posted by setsujoku View Post
          It's a "bug" in SBS though I haven't seen any updates that resolve the issue, but I have posted a blog here that explains how to limit the amount of RAM that the instance can use.

I've seen a system with 16GB RAM be completely flattened by the instance using everything it could. Once the limit was applied the box began to hum along nicely.

another way of doing it...

http://www.techieshelp.com/Kbs/KB000013.html
          Allen White
          MCSE,MCSA,MCITP,MCTS,CCA,CCSP,VCP

Comment

Thanks for the great explanation, this is the stuff I like to learn! At the same time scripts and prompts are not my forte even after 10 years in front of Windows Servers...so Allen the SQL console solution was perfect.

I'm trying out 512mb based on system with 8gb of RAM. I'll report back if this low numbers causes any issues...

Comment

A late input her - don't just look at the numbers. Also check the performance. For years, SBS (and Exchange server) manage dynamic memory. That means that Exchange takes as much memory it can get, but then releases some when there is a demand for it. Unless you are seeing performance issues, i wouldn't limit those SQL instances too much.
              OTOH SBS 2003 with its limit of 4Gb RAM and everything including the kitchen sink running on it, I frequently limited the RAM requirements of Monitoring, Sharepoint and WSUS (but NOT ISA).
              TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
              http://www.wintra.co.il/
              sigpic
              Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Working...
              X