No announcement yet.

SBS 2008 freezing up on login

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SBS 2008 freezing up on login

I was today on clients site that has Windows 2008 SBS installed. Problem is that after I logged in tried multiple commands like services.msc, msconfig typed in "Run" but nothing was started. For the first 5 minutes i can click around Start Menu, choose some applications (non microsoft works, even control panel works). But then something happens that I can't click where I want.. i can click on Start Menu and get it active but i cant choose anything from there, everything is like blocked, i can right click on Desktop i can do many things but most of the left clicks is blocked. Even when i start TaskMgr i am able to see it but I cannot click it, can't activate it or anything. It acts very very weird.
    It's newly installed system, with less then a month of when it was installed and it wasn't really used (been down most of the time). At first I suspected Symantec EndPoint protection might be faulty so i uninstalled it but nothing helped.

Load of CPU is at 0-1% (2 CPU's), and it has 10GB ram which is hardly used. SBS was set up for 5 people and it isn't even working for a month.

After uninstalling Symantec Windows was still freezing up so i disabled couple of Non-Microsoft services and all Microsoft Exchange services (due to client request because it's configured to get mail thru pop3 connector and he doesn't use sbs just yet so he doesn't want to loose mail from his current server).

And woila! Freezing stopped. So i started enabling things and after trying couple of combinations with only Microsoft Exchange being disabled everything works! When i enable it back it freezes again.

I'm running updates now for multiple Microsoft products and not touching Exchange for a moment. Exchange is at sp1 and there's an update to sp1 for Exchange waiting.

Anyone have some clues what may be going on?
    My website with some small projects -

Re: SBS 2008 freezing up on login

Have you disabled IPv6? If so then you need to enable it or the server will slow to a crawl.

Network Consultant/Engineer
    Baltimore - Washington area and beyond

IPv6 is enabled and it has some values set (not sure if the values in there are correct as i never used IPv6 before).

Run the BPA aka Best Practices Analyser for 2008 - it can usually pinpoint troublesome issues.

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
        Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Turns out the problem was with IPv6 (as mentioned in here already) and Exchange 2007 services being in constant state stopping/starting.

Issue was similar to IPv6 being disabled that was heavily commented on the internet ( with the only difference that IPv6 for my server was enabled (!) and it had some values filled in so it wasn't easy to spot on. Finally i decided to go and disable IPv6 doing it the proper way and it worked. Since my devices don't support IPv6 anyway I didn't needed it and it solved the problem for me.

**Properly Disabling IPv6**

SBS 2008 is designed to fully support IPv6 and has IPv6 enabled by default. Most users should never need to disable IPv6, however if you must disable IPv6 here is how to disable it properly:

Important: This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base: 322756] (

1. Uncheck Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6) on your Network Card.
          2. In Registry Editor, locate and then click the following registry subkey: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\Tcpip6\Parameters\
          3. Double-click DisabledComponents to modify the DisabledComponents entry.
          Note If the DisabledComponents entry is unavailable, you must create it. To do this, follow these steps:
          1. In the Edit menu, point to New, and then click DWORD (32-bit) Value.
          2. Type DisabledComponents, and then press ENTER.
          3. Double-click DisabledComponents.
          4. Enter "ffffffff" (eight fís), and then click OK:

5. Reboot the SBS 2008 server.

RRAS (VPN) Note: If you plan to enable VPN on your SBS 2008 server, you MUST also Export and then Delete the following registry key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\RemoteAccess\RouterManagers\Ipv6

If you do not delete this key you will get an 20103 Event when trying to start RRAS with IPv6 disabled. You must reboot after removing this key.

BPA wasn't saying anything useful. IPv6 was the problem and it was enabled. Maybe there were some incorrect IPv6 settings so disabling it completely helped me out.