Cannot find User Configuration\Windows Settings\Folder Redirection

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cannot find User Configuration\Windows Settings\Folder Redirection

Whenever I read up on folder redirection I am pointed to the following GPO path:

User Configuration\Windows Settings\Folder Redirection

For the life of me I cannot find this anywhere when running GPEDIT.MSC. Am I in the wrong place?

Small Buisness Server 2003

Re: Cannot find User Configuration\Windows Settings\Folder Redirection

FIrst of all, UTFW in Server Manager/Users/Configure My Documents Redirection. On Win7 you go to UserConfiguration/Administrative Templates/System Templates/Folder Redirection but you shouldn't need to go there.
    TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
    http://www.wintra.co.il/
    sigpic
    Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Sorry, what does UTFM mean? This is server 2003 not windows 7

Comment

Use The (silent F) Wizard
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by jtpryan View Post
          This is server 2003
          Actually it isn't.

Sort of anyway. Although SBS 2003 is heavily based on Server 2003 it is much more wizard driven. The easiest way to break things in SBS is to perform tasks the way you would on a normal 2003 Server and not use the SBS wizards. I've done it myself more than once, and I'm willing to bet every member of this forum who supports SBS has done too.
          BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
          sigpic
          Cruachan's Blog

Comment

First, the poster said "UTFM", not "UTFW". Either way, I don't appreciate that kind of response in any forum, it's rude and unacceptable. Even more so from a moderator that should know better.
            <flame off>

I am aware of the wizards and I always use that path first. My question was not how to implement folder redirection, my question was why is this path not in my group policy editor. If somebody can provide the answer to *just* that I would be appreciative.

I'm new to this forum, I hope this isn't the type of interaction I am to expect.

Thanks,
            -Jim

Comment

Forgive me if this seems elementary but have you right clicked the My Documents node under Folder Redirection in the left pane of the GPMC and selected properties from the context menu? If you merely select the node in the left pane and are expecting to see the settings in the right pane, they won't show up there.

Comment

Originally posted by jtpryan View Post
                First, the poster said "UTFM", not "UTFW". Either way, I don't appreciate that kind of response in any forum, it's rude and unacceptable. Even more so from a moderator that should know better.
                <flame off>
                Please note this is not a flame or personal attack.

1) You (not "the poster") mentioned UTFM in response to a post that said UTFW. This was clearly a typing or reading error, or possibly a confusion with a similar acronym "RTFM" (which I will not spell out for fear of upsetting you further )

2) The response UTFW is one that anyone familiar with SBS will know and understand. It is not intended as a criticism of anyone (except possibly Microsoft) but a statement that you MUST use the Wizards for SBS to work properly. Review other threads in this forum and you will see it being used regularly.

3) You explicitly asked what the acronym meant. You were given a sanitised answer -- many posters would have spelled it out in full.

I fail to see how this is in any way "rude and unacceptable", nor different from the response any other moderator, administrator or member would have given.

To respond to your point about finding folder redirection, it is exactly where you say it should be -- the shot below is from SBS 2003.
                Are you editing a GROUP policy or the LOCAL policy (which does not have it)?
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Ossian; 29th April 2010, 07:21.
                Tom Jones
                MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                IT Trainer / Consultant
                Ossian Ltd
                Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

UTFW

Use
                  The
                  Flaming
                  Wizard

What is so rude and upsetting about that?
                  1 1 was a racehorse.
                  2 2 was 1 2.
                  1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                  2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Well, if you happen to be on the Hindenburg, quite a lot
                    Tom Jones
                    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                    IT Trainer / Consultant
                    Ossian Ltd
                    Scotland

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
                      Well, if you happen to be on the Hindenburg, quite a lot
                      Are you saying Harry Potter was responsible for the Hindernburg disaster?

jtpryan: I was not trying to be patronising or offensive to you. You are clearly new to this forum, and therefore I and the other people who have responded to your question have no idea of your level of knowledge/experience. The only assumption we DO make is that you have read the forum rules and FAQs. There is a sticky thread in this forum with all of the acronyms commonly used when talking about SBS.
                      BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
                      sigpic
                      Cruachan's Blog

Comment

No, more likely to be Ron Weasley
                        Tom Jones
                        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                        IT Trainer / Consultant
                        Ossian Ltd
                        Scotland

Comment

Originally posted by cruachan View Post
                          Actually it isn't.

Sort of anyway. Although SBS 2003 is heavily based on Server 2003 it is much more wizard driven. The easiest way to break things in SBS is to perform tasks the way you would on a normal 2003 Server and not use the SBS wizards. I've done it myself more than once, and I'm willing to bet every member of this forum who supports SBS has done too.
                          I have definitely done this...
                          Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Working...
                          X