X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back up errors - exchange store

Hi,

Backup exec has suddenly started throwing up the following error:

Backup- \\Server1\Microsoft Information Store\First Storage Group Media mount failed.
    User canceled a Physical Volume Library operation.
    V-79-57344-33861 - The media operation was terminated by the user.

I have read the MS article which suggests turning on the vss writer to no avail. Just wanted someone to have a look over the exchange preferences (attached) if possible.

Thanks,
    Attached Files

Re: Back up errors - exchange store

Have you been through the Symantec KB for all of the required permissions for the BE Service Account? I've run into problems in the past with having the GRT option ticked, as you need to delegate various Exchange permissions to the BE account and (IIRC) you also need to install MAPI/CDO on the server. That may just be for Exchange 2007 though, been a while since I installed an Exchange 2003 server or SBS 2K3.

If you have no need to restore individual emails or anything like that I would just untick the option for GRT and take a full backup of the Information Store. With Exchange retention policies at their defaults I've never had a need to do a granular restore anyway.
    BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
    sigpic
    Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Hi,

thanks for your (second!) prompt reply.

Originally posted by cruachan View Post
      Have you been through the Symantec KB for all of the required permissions for the BE Service Account? I've run into problems in the past with having the GRT option ticked, as you need to delegate various Exchange permissions to the BE account and (IIRC) you also need to install MAPI/CDO on the server. That may just be for Exchange 2007 though, been a while since I installed an Exchange 2003 server or SBS 2K3.
      I have looked through the article some time ago, although have used the "test all" button for the job - would that show all errors relating to the account being used for the job? It's also just started happening suddenly and the ms article i found suggest the MAPI/CDO relates to Exchange 2007 onwards - unless i misread?

Originally posted by cruachan View Post
      If you have no need to restore individual emails or anything like that I would just untick the option for GRT and take a full backup of the Information Store. With Exchange retention policies at their defaults I've never had a need to do a granular restore anyway.
      I totally understand what you are getting at here, although would like to get to the bottom of it if possible.

Thanks for your help.

Comment

Originally posted by simonsays View Post
        Hi,

thanks for your (second!) prompt reply.

I have looked through the article some time ago, although have used the "test all" button for the job - would that show all errors relating to the account being used for the job?
        Last time I had this error it didn't, doing a test all worked as expected but the job failed with the error you have. Unticking the GRT box resolved it. This Symantec KB gives all of the required Exchange permissions for doing a backup, there's quite a lot of steps and more than once I've missed one out on the rare occasions I've configured GRT.
        BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
        sigpic
        Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Hi,

Thanks for the reply and sorry for my slow reply - been on holiday with limited access to tinternet.

It's exactly as you stated: it seems to stem from GRT in this case. I'll have a tinker and let you know if there are any changes!

Comment

Working...
          X