X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advanced Open File Option

Hi,

SBS 2K3 Sp2

I found this MS article which advises to turn on the vss writer when using a third party backup program - we are using backup exec 12.5 (fully patched).
    Which AOFO would you suggest using when this is enabled through regedit? Options attached.

Thanks.
    Attached Files

Re: Advanced Open File Option

I usually just leave it at the defaults. Never had any issues with Backup Exec and AOFO.

BTW I assume you haven't got support on BE, as 2010 is now out. We've just upgraded in the office.
    BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
    sigpic
    Cruachan's Blog

Comment

hi,

thanks for your prompt reply.

I dont believe there is a support contract in place. I seem to recall someone saying Symantec recommend running two jobs; everything minus exchange and then another for the store. May give that a go.

What's 2010 like?

Comment

I've never had to configure multiple jobs like that except on rare occasions where there isn't enough space to backup everything in one go. Not recommended though, you can guarantee that the one backup that gets missed is the one you need.

2010 is pretty similar in most respects, adds a few new features as always and there is now support for Server 2008 R2 which isn't in 12.5 and is something we need.
        BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
        sigpic
        Cruachan's Blog

Comment

I normally use the default setting of "Automatically select..." for the VSS settings in the job properties.

As far as the VSS writer on the server(s) being backed up is concerned, it should be set to manual. BackupExec and Windows will manage the starting and stopping of the VSS writer as needed.

I use a single job to backup Exchange, including the file system and IS. I don't use the AOFO for Exchange though as I've had problems with it causing Exchange to hang up.

Comment

Thanks for posting and sorry for the slow reply guys - been on holiday with limited access to tinternet.

I believe after a load of updates and a restart of the server, the backups are now back to normal.

I'll keep you posted if this changes!

Comment

And I still don't understand the Cost/Benefit of BE in an SBS 2003 environment, I used to sell my clients BE, but decided to save them the US$400-600 cost, whilst using the built in Backup (runner + NTBackup).
              It's cheap.
              It's quick.
              It's easy.
              It's built in to the console and gives you a daily report if it succeeded or not. Now what was the question?
              TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
              http://www.wintra.co.il/
              sigpic
              Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Working...
              X