Unknown file filing up OS drive

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unknown file filing up OS drive

I installed my first test SBS'08 without issues. Installed the updates, Created a mirrored OS and raid 5 for my Data imported all my Data I was very happy. Easy I thought!. Another update out, no problem. WHat out of space error? on a 60 gig OS partition??!!

Odd OK, migrated my exchange, SharePoint and WSUS folders still no space (not surprised they werent really used yet.

I ran the standard tests, disk clean up, defrag, registry scan. My folders were less than 30 gigs. installed Clamwin and spybot, they found nothing, installed windirstat and wow 30 gigs of unkown folder? what is that and where did it come from?

does anyone have any ideas? I can't delete it!
    Attached Files

Re: Unknown file filing up OS drive

What's the size of your System Volume Information folder?
    Regards,
    Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
    Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
    www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

SVI is 0.

I set my paging file at 2 gigs,
      Recycle bin is empty,

I have not set up any shadow copies or diskbackups from the PC's. and from what I can tell server 2008 does not use system restore points.
      Attached Files

Comment

I'm grasping at straws here as I don't really know what's going on but try this.

EDIT: Actually, try this first

Run this command:

Code:
        dir \\?\c:\
        If it lists the offending file or directory then try this command to remove it:

Code:
        rmdir \\?\c:\<path to file or dir>

If that doesn't work then try this...

Run this command:

Code:
        dir \\.\c:\
        If it lists the offending file or directory then try this command to remove it:

Code:
        rmdir \\.\c:\<path to file or dir>
        More info on the \\?\ (Win32 File Namespace) and the \\.\ (Win32 Device Namespace) http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...47(VS.85).aspx
        Last edited by JeremyW; 29th April 2010, 11:39.
        Regards,
        Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Thanks for the ideas. the \\.\c:\ didnt work. My next step is Hirens boot cd if that doesn't work I will reinstall. (I will do a second manual backup as I havent verified the SBS backup yet). Glad this is my play box!

I will post anything I find.

Comment

I found the issue, although I am not sure what it was . I am using software raid with 3 500 gig harddrives. they are partioned with a 66 gig and 400 gig partition. The OS is mirrored on the 66 gig and data is raid 5 over the 3 400 gigs. My initial problem was failed redundency on the raid 5. looking into causes I found the 66 gig was full and I could not install updates. A disk clean up and defrag wiht reboots opened up about 2 gigs of space. probing deeper I noticed 2 failed patch updates. The patches stated failed needing restart. Ok, I rebooted the server. after the 3rd reboot I suddenly had 12 gigs free. I kept rebooting and after around 6 reboots I had my free space back. The free space allowed me to install update rolloup 4. 3 more reboots and all my fresspace was back. I resynched the raid 5 and everything looks good. I am assuming that I had downloaded to many updates at first and they kinda chocked each other out, They must create a special temp file during install and this is what used the disk space. Just assumptions but well it is working now. Thank you for the help and ideas

Comment

Wow, that's weird.

I don't think it was the updates since their temp files you can see. I think it must be the software RAID you have going. Not sure what's up with the reboots freeing up space.

Thanks for posting!
              Regards,
              Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Working...
              X