Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

explain why clients cannot surf net while rebooting server...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• explain why clients cannot surf net while rebooting server...

I have DNS forwarders setup to external DNS servers. How can I setup DNS so that clients can resolve internet addresses while the SBS 2008 Server is spending 10-15 minutes rebooting?

Is a 2nd DNS server the solution (that is what our current system has) or should there be another configuration in the DNS config that allows clients to look at the forwarder addresses when the SBS is rebooting.

Re: explain why clients cannot surf net while rebooting server...

You have several options:
    Give clients the address of an external DNS server as a secondary one
    Accept the downtime
    Reboot the server out of hours
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Thanks. I wondered if the 2nd DNS listed could be external. I think a few years ago a well respected consultant saw our old system configured that way and yelled at me about it! Stating that external DNS needs to be setup as forwarders...but never told me why setting up an external as the 2nd DNS was bad.

thanks, good info.

Comment

another option, depending on your router's capabilities, is to list the router as a second DNS server, and then have the router configured with helpers to forward the requests to external dns server.
        Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Originally posted by tehcamel View Post
          another option, depending on your router's capabilities, is to list the router as a second DNS server, and then have the router configured with helpers to forward the requests to external dns server.
          Thanks for confirming that for me...as I have done that in the past too but didn't know if that was a good idea. I do have my firewall router (smoothwall) pointing to several external DNS and would rather just reference the firewall.

Comment

As explained in a parallel thread, you need the stations pointing to the SBS for AD and other authentications (Exchange etc), and since you don't presumably publish your LAN to the Internet, you need DNS for internal resolution....
            TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
            http://www.wintra.co.il/
            sigpic
            Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Working...
            X