the truth about a 2nd dns server...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the truth about a 2nd dns server...

I'm in the testing mode of a SBS 2008 install. We will be hoping to buy a Standard addition due to no need for SQL. I noted due to the long reboot requirements of SBS we cannot have lack of internet access nor the inability to login to other domain resources, so a 2nd onsite DNS (as our currently network is) would be required.

There seems to be some conflicting opinions about if SBS Standard can have a 2nd DNS server.

I am not interested in opinions of the needs of the 2nd DNS since many think this need is only for remote offices via VPN. We have been running two DNS with Win 2000 and 20003 R2 server for years and the need has been proven again and again.

I've read on with SBS 2008 Premium and a 2nd server running Server 2008 and another said it was just fine and the 2nd server could be Server 2003 R2.

What is the opinion on this forum?

Re: the truth about a 2nd dns server...

Cannot speak for 2008, but in other versions of SBS there have been no issues with an additional domain controller
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

you should be able to run a secondary DC using w2008.

although - if yo udon't reboot your server during office hours, then you shouldn't have the issues you mentioned.. :P
      Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
        Cannot speak for 2008, but in other versions of SBS there have been no issues with an additional domain controller
        thank you. i suspect you are correct and the "no 2nd DNS" as listed on some Microsoft documents is a agreement requirement but can be fudged.

Comment

also - a second DNS server, won't help with the ability to logon to network resources.
          It may help you find them, but you may not necessarily be able to authenticate against them.
          Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Originally posted by tehcamel View Post
            also - a second DNS server, won't help with the ability to logon to network resources.
            It may help you find them, but you may not necessarily be able to authenticate against them.
            Makes sense. Our primary concern (assuming I don't create a 2nd DNS server) is getting users to the internet in that rare occasion the SBS would be offline...but in a bigger concern a 2nd DNS server would be the smartest thing to do.

Comment

Since we are talking about the SMB and not Enterprise market, with SBS2008 you probably have an SMB range firewall/router/modem connection (Atera, SBox, Draytek, etc) which will connect to the Internet and automatically give and get DNS from the ISP. You could add the firewall/router as a secondary DNS via the SBS DHCP (but don't let the firewall BE the DHCP!).
              Your primary concern should be maintaining the SBS up as much as possible for all the reasons already mentioned (AD, authentication etc) and not worrying that much about stations connecting to the Internet (IMHO)
              TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
              http://www.wintra.co.il/
              sigpic
              I’m honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We don’t stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Thanks for the input guys. I wasn't sure if I could put external DNS as the secoundary DNS of the SBS box to keep my clients connected to the internet.

Keep in mind when tossing out opinions that we all have different business models. As a ski resort we have a need for credit cards (64% of our daily sales) almost 24/7 during the ski season and our POS system is on the domain and we run departments almost all day (bars, restaurants, ect)...but we are a small resort and that is why SBS may work for us. Yes usually we don't need to restart our servers but I'm not there at 3:00am to do it either and unattended restarts can have issues too. During the setup phase this thing is getting updates and want to restart every other day. The only concern I do have with SBS 2008 is the length of restarts on our blazing fast dell server. I've timed 15 minute restarts on a clean install with a quad core 3.8ghz with 12gig of ram and raid5. I have 12 year old P3 servers running Server 2003 R2 that only take 10 minutes to restart!

Comment

of course we all have business models, and different ideas and needs from our infrastructure.

any of the suggestions or comments I made were in no way intended to be offensive or critical - mainly my own two cents on any given issue

what you may find with the sbs startup (and this is a guess/theory) is that Exchange starts up, but is pointing to it's self as AD server, and AD may not have started yet.. it's one of the downfalls to SBS imo.. takes a little longer than a normal server...

Comment

Absolutely no-offense taken! As know know with email and forums we can sound direct, I'm sure I came across that way. As stated before I appropriate you (and others) time and assistance.

We have such a odd business model here at our resort I often find assistance from great resources is usually giving us pretty straightforward suggestions that always don't help.

Usually by the time I explain to great techs what we do and what we need they then are wondering why I"m even looking at SBS 2008 but since my business (in 12+ years) has no grown past 50-60 windows clients I'm sure SBS will be just great!

Comment

For the shutdown issue you could try this 2007 modification of Daniel's Exchange shutdown batch script.

Code:
                      @ECHO OFF 
                      @TITLE Reboot Exchange 2007 on DC script
                      @COLOR 1F
                      SETLOCAL

ECHO  ษออออออออออออออออออออออออออออออออออออออออออออออออออออออออออออออออออออออออออออป
                      ECHO  บ                                                                            บ
                      ECHO  บ      This script will will reboot Exchange Server 2007 when installed      บ
                      ECHO  บ                       on a Domain Controller.                              บ
                      ECHO  บ                                                                            บ
                      ECHO  ศออออออออออออออออออออออออออออออออออออออออออออออออออออออออออออออออออออออออออออผ
                      ECHO.

ECHO.
                      ECHO 1. Shut Down the server (shutdown /s).
                      ECHO 2. Reboot the server (shutdown /r).
                      ECHO 3. Abort shutdown (shutdown /a).
                      ECHO 0. Do nothing.
                      ECHO.
                      CHOICE /C 1230

IF ERRORLEVEL 4 GOTO END
                      IF ERRORLEVEL 3 GOTO ABORT
                      IF ERRORLEVEL 2 GOTO REBOOT
                      IF ERRORLEVEL 1 GOTO SHUTDOWN
                      IF ERRORLEVEL 0 GOTO END
                      GOTO END

:ABORT
                      shutdown /a
                      GOTO END

:REBOOT
                      SET PARAMETERS=/r /c "Stopper - Rebooting server"
                      GOTO STOPSERVICES

:SHUTDOWN
                      SET PARAMETERS=/s /c "Stopper - Shutting down the server"
                      GOTO STOPSERVICES

:STOPSERVICES
                      ECHO ON
                      REM - While we are waiting for the main Exchange services to stop,
                      REM - Some peripheral services will be closed in the background.
                      start /min net stop msexchangeadtopology /y
                      start /min net stop msftesql-exchange /y
                      start /min net stop msexchangeis /y
                      start /min net stop msexchangesa /y
                      start /min net stop iisadmin /y

REM - Now it's time to reboot or shutdown the server.
                      shutdown %PARAMETERS% /t 10

REM To abort, type:
                      REM shutdown /a
                      :END
                      http://www.petri.com/slow_shutdown_o...lled_on_dc.htm
                      Regards,
                      Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
                      Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
                      www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

I did bump into another script that tries to shut down a few services too...due to long shutdown processes.

Am I to believe then the real culprit is exchange based on your comment and script? Thanks.

Comment

The issue is that if Exchange can't find AD (because the service already stopped) then you have to wait for it to time out before Exchange stops its services. The time out takes a long time.

So the script shuts down the Exchange services when they still have access to AD so that they shut down more quickly.
                          Regards,
                          Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
                          Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
                          www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

great info...

Comment

Personaly I dont like to have Exchange running on a DNS server but in this case is there a script to also delay the startup of exchange when a system reboots? or would the startup allready be optomised in SBS 2008?

Comment

Working...
                              X