config'ing exchange over internet...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• config'ing exchange over internet...

So everything has been setup on my test server with internet access via remote.domain.com. I cannot point our MX record to the test server yet but this should have no bearing on my current concern. I can get the iphone to work with active sync exchange on the LAN and WAN...but setting up Outlook 2003 or Outlook 2007 simply will not work. I have a security certificate for a single reference of remote.domain.com.

can someone point me to what needs config'd yet with a standard sbs2008 setup or a website to give me a step by step solution.

Also, can I not assume that a laptop that works with exchange on the LAN should work the same on the WAN (internet) w/o any issues or reconfig.

shawn

Re: config'ing exchange over internet...

does outlook anywhere work within the network ?
    get that right before yo uget it working outside..

most common problem with OA is a certificate issue
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Originally posted by tehcamel View Post
      does outlook anywhere work within the network ?
      get that right before yo uget it working outside..

most common problem with OA is a certificate issue
      thank you for your comments. as stated I have a valid certificate and I mentioned the iphone works just fine...which requires a certificate too.

As far as you comment about having "outlook anwhere" working inside...I'm not sure how this makes sense. exchange propritary is always going to be the inside solution that will trump any other type of setup unless I try to go manual and setup imap/smtp.

If you even look at Microsofts description of "outlook anywhere" they make no mention of it being and "inside" solution or being able to set it up inside.

Are you simply stating I need to get exchange workings side...which it is.

Comment

because by making sure it works "inside" your domain, you are certain that it's not exchange that's the problem.

by testing it outside of the domain, the problem may occur inside the domain, or be transient.
        What we're trying to do by testing it "inside" is removing one element from the problem - ie, if we make it work correctly using OA inside, we _know_ that OA is working, and the problem is somewhere else.

however, if you can't make it work inside, it generally suggests an OA problem....

See where I'm comin from ?
        Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

My comment questions how can Outlook Anywhere work inside the domain...it's not designed (from what I've read) to be an inside solution. Exchange itself is the inside solution and when you connect inside the LAN it is "exchange propitiatory" correct?

I CAN connect any client to exchange via outlook from within the network...but I'm not convinced this is Outlook Anywhere at work...just standard exchange.

Possibly you can explain how to config OA inside the LAN that is different from Exchange connections.

Comment

By selecting "use http on slow networks" and "use http on fast networks"

my previous job, our consultants could be working anywhere, at any time, so OA was the common option when they were out of the office.
            However, despite having two profiles, most of them were fairly lazy, and never bothered changing to the in-office profile.

It Definitely works inside a domain.

Comment

By selecting "use http on slow networks" and "use http on fast networks"

my previous job, our consultants could be working anywhere, at any time, so OA was the common option when they were out of the office.
              However, despite having two profiles, most of them were fairly lazy, and never bothered changing to the in-office profile.

It Definitely works inside a domain.
              Should OA work "out of the box" on SBS 2008...as every other feature did. I guess I'm just not finding any good step by step for server and client side setup of OA anywhere. I'm going to spend today re-researching this topic now that I know OA can be setup inside the LAN and well as outside...although I don't like the idea of two profiles, my peeps will be lazy too!

Any great resources would be appropriated on client and or exchange side setup...as I thought OA was just setup like standard exchange. Point to the server, find the user and go...

Comment

Thanks again for your help. You got me looking in the right direction.

I actually found an ariticle that suggested exchange server references where wrong.

It didn't like servername.domain.com...it just wanted "servername" this is also backwards from my iphone that wanted remote.domain.com.

Everything appears to be working inside and outside the LAN.

Comment

glad it's all workin out for you buddy

actually, now that you mention in your post what the issue was, that does indeed ring a bell in my head wrt how we configured our nokia mail for exchange stuff.. totally different to the OA thing..

Comment

I have to admit for a guy who loves windows servers and apple clients I see the pros and cons to both...but I am not a full time admin...just a business owner trying to support 60 clients. SBS is great but all those "little things" are poorly documented in my opinion. I got 3 different SBS 2008 books in front of me and not one defines the different syntax's and how they apply to the different setups...now if one of these books would just tell me how to config IMAP....nope!

Thanks again.

Comment

it comes down to your need for imap really..

and with SBS, as teiger is fond of saying, everything comes down to UTFW - use the fine wizard.
                      SBS is driven by wizards mainly..

I'll go take a look at your imap post now..

also.. if you've got 60 users on the network, you should have IT guys supporting you, not doing it yourself.. you should focus on your business (i don't mean to tell you to suck eggs or anything, and it;'s good to be curious and know what's going on)

Comment

We'll I'm still debating the need for IMAP, but I will need SMTP for a few rouge programs to communicate and I have not determined if internal SMTP needs tweaked to get access to it w/o doing it through an exchange client.

It doesn't appear there are any Wizards for IMAP, which is why I'm reluctant to start banging on the lenghty write-ups just to get IMAP with SSL working. I am reluctant to start tweaking things on the exchange 2007 and mess up something else!

As far as the 60 users, you don't know the half of it...including 7 web cams, 12 PLCs, 3 websites...but that is how small business rolls. Almost every so called "expert" I've had in here as causes my grief or excessive cost and since I tend to know more then half of them I'm not willing to pay the costs that are assoicated with some of the BS. We ran on Server 2000 for 7 years 2003 for 5 w/o and issue but SBS2008 test is going slow! Lots of little "gotchas" to work out before I just flip our network...plus this isn't a migration but a fresh install of a new domain...so lots of clients to tweak yet to come!

I manage a ski resort so I have all summer to figure this out.

Comment

best way to test smtp is just to open a command prompt on a random workstation, telnet to port 25 on the SBS server, and use the raw commands

helo carboncow
                          mail from: [email protected]
                          rcpt to: [email protected]
                          data
                          some data

see if that helps at all.. ? At least in Sbs2003, smtp would allow any authenticated computers in the network to transmit mail through it..

Comment

best way to test smtp is just to open a command prompt on a random workstation, telnet to port 25 on the SBS server, and use the raw commands

see if that helps at all.. ? At least in Sbs2003, smtp would allow any authenticated computers in the network to transmit mail through it..
                            Thanks. I would assume SMTP with SBS2008 would require some type of SSL/encryption!?!? I forget all the types (TSL is one of them). Any idea how this pertains to the telnet testing? I'll be trying this on Thursday (your test) as I'm out of town at the moment.

Comment

SMTP dos NOT require SSL/encryption - since most servers would not know how to connect...
                              If you would tell me where in the world you are located (privately, if required) I could probably hook you up with someone who does know their way around SBS without the BS!
                              Then again, for a ski trip in the winter I might be willing to trade .....
                              TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
                              http://www.wintra.co.il/
                              sigpic
                              Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Working...
                              X