Trouble with backup and restore

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trouble with backup and restore

I'm new to SBS and I'm setting up SBS 2008 in our office. I'm still in the setup and testing phase, so I'm not in the live environment yet. I am getting caught up with the backup and restore process.

I connected an external hard drive via USB. When I tried to set up scheduled backups, I receive the error that reads No backup compatible disk drives were detected. And it wouldn't let me schedule anything.

So instead, I went to Windows Server Backup and performed a one time backup to the external drive, which seemed to work fine.

To test that backup, I restarted the server using the setup DVD and chose Repair Your Computer. The next screen was Systme Recovery Options, and it read, "select an operating systme to repair." PROBLEM #1: Nothing was listed.

Since there was an option to click Next, I did so. The next dialogue was System Recover Options, on there I clicked Windows Complete PC Restore. It scanned my dives and found the backup I had made yesterday. Good news I thought. I clicked next through the screens, confirmed that I did want to format the drives I chose to restore, clicked OK, and the restore failed immediately. Error code 80070057, The Parameter is incorrect.

So I guess my questions are:
    1. Why didn't SBS like the USB drive I had attached? Or better said, why might SBS not like a USB drive attached for backup?
    2. What am I doing wrong to try and restore the computer?
    3. Is this even the right way to restore the system, should something bad happen?

Re: Trouble with backup and restore

The USB disk should be "virginal" and without a Drive letter as SBS will add its own file "system" to the disk!
    TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
    http://www.wintra.co.il/
    sigpic
    Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Ok. How do I restore from the backup I was able to take?

Comment

UTFW - with SBS you do everything through the Wizards. That means that you backup using the wizard and you also restore using the wizard. Since your backup was done by another means, you will have a problem restoring.
        TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
        http://www.wintra.co.il/
        sigpic
        Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Working...
        X