No announcement yet.

SBS 2008 Will Not Boot Normally

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SBS 2008 Will Not Boot Normally

Early this morning we had a problem with the SBS server, let me explain in detail.

Server will begin to boot up, and once it finishes with the splash screen, I will get a black screen and a mouse cursor (that I can freely move around) - although no keystrokes will work. Shortly after this, the server will just reboot.

This happens in - Safe mode, Safe mode w/ networking, Last known good configuration, directory services restore mode, and all options in selective startup.

Seeing as how I cannot run a repair install on this operating system due to the fact of that it is 2008 architecture, I have booted off the CD into the repair console, and started to run some tests.

So far I've ran the following with no luck -

chkdsk /r - finished, still reboots.

sfc /scannow /offbootdir , /offwindir - No problems found.

X:\sources\recovery\StartRep.exe - "fixes" some issues - but still returns to the "reboot" after I get the black background and mouse cursor.

I was wondering if there was any possible way to recover system files without having to restore a backup or start over.

If so - what are the system files I should start with?

Thanks for any help!

Re: SBS 2008 Will Not Boot Normally

have you tried disabling the auto restart function?
    this way u'll get a bsod which should help ...

You may have a look at this topic
    Windows 7 Boot Error - Status: 0xc000000e Info: The boot selection failed

Are you able to disable/remove the NICs?

Its a long shot but my Windows 7 PC had the same problem, and removing the NIC fixed it (long enough for me to back everything up and rebuild).

If in asking for more details about a problem I seem to be rude, think about it this way, If I did not have to ask, I would not of been forced to be rude.

Please assume anything and everything I say to be wrong unless I have provided links and evidence, or you have done the same.
      IE: you blow your server up following my advice, not my bad

A OP is bad if I can go to and answer the question by pressing 4 buttons. "Ctrl +c, Ctrl +v".

you mention that you cannot access via the console.

what about remotely - can you logon via rdp, or use remote event viewer to get any hints ?

Also, what changed recently? did someone install something, remove something?
        Patch or update for anything ?
        Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point

I know you said you don't want to restore from backup, but why?

Restoring from system state to get the system up and running and get users back online would always be the best and fastest option

Then you can think about what was changed and what caused the problem in the first place with your feet up instead of the directors breathing down your neck

Steven Roberts
          IT Mercenary

MCITP:EA|MCTS|MCSE 2003 (Messaging and Security)|MCSA 2003 (Messaging and Security)|MCP|Prince2 Practitioner

Don't forget to click on the Yin-Yang icon to leave reputation points if you think my advice has been worthwhile!