Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Change MX records for new broadband IP

Hi,

I'm currently running Windows 2000 server with exchange and our own domain with several client machines on the network.
    I'm going to upgrade our broadband connection from 512k ADSL to a 2mb link.

The new link obviously has different IP address etc.

I know I need to change MX records to point the new IP address to our domain and I need to change the out going mail server on exchange.

How exactly do I do this? and is there anything else I need to change?

Any help at all is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Re: Change MX records for new broadband IP

To change your MX Record you should usually ask your ISP, or the DNS provider you're using.

Make sure that the FW allows in TCP port 25 to the server's IP address.

As for the outgoing mail server - what on earth are you talking about? A mail relay? A smart host? You usualy don't need to change anything for the outgoing internet mail traffic, as the Exchange server is configured, by default, to query the DNS and send mail on it's own.
    Cheers,

Daniel Petri
    Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
    MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Just an observation but when I upgraded the line speed with my ISP, I kept the same static IP that I had with the slower speed. If you are with the same ISP and you already had a static IP with the 512 connection then it is possible, if not probable, that your IP will remain the same. Before you go changing MX Records, check that the IP has actually changed.
      1 1 was a racehorse.
      2 2 was 1 2.
      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Thanks for the reply.

We have changes ISP's from BT to NTR Broadband. So our IP address for the server will need to change. We still have the old service running until I can figure out how to change the server settings. The new NTR link is currently set up to run on a desktop PC temporarily.

Our old BT link is 512k whereas the new one is a 2mb symetrical RF link.

We have our own domain here etc. The NTR engineer told me that I need to change MX records to point our domain to the new IP address.
        He also said that we also need to change our outgoing smtp relay server on our exchange server to: smtp.ntrbroadband.com.

Any help appreciated!

Comment

You're not listening.

MX Record changes are made by calling the DNS host (your ISP, for instance) and asking them to make the change.

I.e.:

Code:
          netguru.co.il   MX preference = 10, mail exchanger = mail.netguru.co.il
          mail.netguru.co.il      internet address = 192.117.117.206
          instead of that, all you need to change is the IP of the A record that points to your mailserver, not the actual MX record:

Code:
          netguru.co.il   MX preference = 10, mail exchanger = mail.netguru.co.il
          mail.netguru.co.il      internet address = 82.134.59.12
          Cheers,

Daniel Petri
          Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
          MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

You only need to change anything if you are forwarding to a smart host like your ISP delivers you mail for you. As always, it is very often that the question asked is more important than the answer given. In this case it is not the change to broadband that requires you to change your configuration, but the fact that you are changing ISP's to a different set of addresses.
            Are you forwarding via smarthost?
            TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
            http://www.wintra.co.il/
            sigpic
            Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Send an email to your dns provider requesting the change in IP address.

If your forwarding to a smarthost enter the new address under Virtual SMTP Server properties.

Comment

Working...
              X