2003 to 2008 migration debacle

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2003 to 2008 migration debacle

My co-worker is working on a SBS 2003 to SBS 2008 migration. Not sure what's been done exactly but he's having problems and apparently a mailbox needs to be restored from backup or migrated from the old server still. (I'm a little hazy on the details)

So here's the issue: the he already ran dcpromo on the 2003 server with Exchange still installed. So now Exchange on the 2003 server won't work. My question, since I know running dcpromo on an Exchange server is a "no no", will promoting the 2003 back to a DC fix the Exchange issues? Will it adversely affect the SBS environment?

I'm guessing running dcpromo again won't break anything more but I don't really know if it will fix the Exchange issues.

Thanks!
    Regards,
    Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
    Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
    www.gma-cpa.com

Re: 2003 to 2008 migration debacle

Are you following the MS migration document to the letter? There are no short cuts. Only exception is Swing Migration from www.sbsmigration.com of course!
    TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
    http://www.wintra.co.il/
    sigpic
    Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Re: 2003 to 2008 migration debacle

Hi Steven.

I actually don't know what steps were taken. I've done several migrations using the MS documentation with no issue but I feel that my co-worker skipped or forgot steps.

So I think the damage is done. Not sure what the end result is but I know he spent some time on the phone with Microsoft.
      Regards,
      Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
      Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
      www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Working...
      X