SBS2000 to SBS2000 on new hardware migration

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SBS2000 to SBS2000 on new hardware migration

Can anyone shed some light on procedures for migrating SBS 2000 to SBS 2000 on a new server (AD, Users, Exchange, ISA)....

I found one post on this forum which suggested you could build a 2000 server joing the domain, promote, transfer roles, mailboxes and install SBS 2000 over the top, run both for a few weeks and then decommision the old SBS.

I wouldnt of thought that you could run 2x SBS servers in the same domain. Can someone please clarify.

(please no commercial replies like www.sbsmigration.com)

Thanks

Re: SBS2000 to SBS2000 on new hardware migration

Running 2 SBS in the same domain arent supported.
    There couple of articls how to move Exchange and Windows server from one server hardware to another. I find out that sometimes installing new server and migrate the data to the new server is the fasted methood.
    Also, I think that it will be wise to install the new server with Win 2003 and Exchange 2003 (no SBS) - this will save you migration time in the future.

http://support.microsoft.com/default...;EN-US;q297289

http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;249694

Regards,

Yuval
    Best Regards,

Yuval Sinay

LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/yuval14, Blog: http://blogs.microsoft.co.il/blogs/yuval14

Comment

I would take issue with you on two points.
      1) there is absolutely no point in re-installing SBS2000 when SBS2003 offers so many benefits over 2000, not the least of which is security. We are living in a vastly different world from when 2000 was released, and the extra security, is a MUST HAVE IM not so HO. The only reason possibly is that you ave some LPOB application which simply cannot be ported to SBS 2003.
      2) www.sbsmigration com is simply THE method to do it. Commercial or not, $125 is a tiny price to pay compared to anything else which can end up screwing up your server, exchange, AD or all three. On top of that consider it a price to help the businesses of New Orleans to keep going!
      TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
      http://www.wintra.co.il/
      sigpic
      Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Your on every SBS forum that I have come across posting messages about www.sbsmigration.com.

You obviously have a vested personal or financial interest in the site.

I get enough SPAM/UCE in my inbox I dont expect to be SPAMMED with Advertising when posting messages on forums.

Comment

Originally posted by bd200x
          Your on every SBS forum that I have come across posting messages about www.sbsmigration.com.

You obviously have a vested personal or financial interest in the site.

I get enough SPAM/UCE in my inbox I dont expect to be SPAMMED with Advertising when posting messages on forums.
          Have you ever considered the www.sbsmigration.com might be the best site for learning how to do the SBS tricks adn obtaining the correct tools for the job. Considering that Steven is an SBS MVP I think maybe you should listen to what his experience has to offer instead of bitching about him promoting a site that contains extremely useful and pertinent information.

If you are getting SPAM, I suggest you either terminate your Internet connection or apply a SPAM filter.

You obviously have made a libelous statement, without proof, about Steven's role with SBS Migration. A retraction or an apology would be appropriate. Thank you.

Finally, if you don't like the answers to YOUR questions, then you do have the option of ignoring them. Courtesy and politeness cost nothing but can reap great results. You post was rude and insulting to someone who has taken his FREE time to try and help YOU with YOUR problem. The least you can do is show a little courtesy and respect even if you get an answer you don't like.
          1 1 was a racehorse.
          2 2 was 1 2.
          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

How is his post any different to my replying to anyones problem on this forum that I think that I can fix, with a link to my IT consultancy business website and quoting hourly consultancy rates?

"I can give you the answer to your question - just goto my website and pay $299".

I think people would get tired of that very quickly.

MVP or not he is still using this (and many other forums) for promoting a commercial website which I think is unethical.

He has not taken the time to help me with my problem I asked for clarification on someones previous post about running 2 SBS servers in a domain, his post is unrelated and I only mentioned it because ive seen the same reply time and time and time again on many SBS forums.

Isn't the sprit of this forum for peers to help fellow system administrators with problems and create a FREE repository of knowledge for everyones benefit. Not to flog commercial products...

Maybe Microsoft, Symantec, Computer Associates etc should start posting here.

Backup questions? goto www.veritas.com
            Virus problem on your network? goto www.symantec.com
            SBS migration questions? goto www.sbsmigration.com

Server performance problems? hmmm maybe we can get DELL to advertise their server hardware on here..... www.dell.com
            Last edited by bd200x; 12th September 2005, 06:23.

Comment

Declaration: www.sbsmigration.com is run by Jeff Middleton - a fellow SBS MVP. I have met him once and will again in 2 weeks time. If it is of any interest to you, he is having a hard time as an erstwhile New Orleans resident. So much so that he has put unbelievable Disaster Recovery and Business Continuity plans into practice recently for obvious reasons.
              The SBS MVP's were sort of Beta sites for his Kit and as such we received a free kit for our own use when released.
              When I decided to use swing migration for a customer, I bought and paid for a kit at full price. /Declaration
              If I told you the best way to check for disk problems was to run "chkdsk", you would accept that as it is a built in system tool and is free. If I told you that in your case, you may be better off buying Raxco's "Perfect Disk" as it does a better job and solves your problem, is that unacceptable because it is not FREE.
              I am telling you you have three options:
              Use the microsoft migration papers which will give you a server with another name, broken profiles on the desktop, and incorrect shares and printer definitions. These have to be fixed and take time - but it's "FREE". BTW are you comfortable using ADMT also?
              Second option, research all the KB's. forums and learn how to make a temp DC with your AD intact because you cannot put 2 SBS's in the same domain - period. It wouldn't surprise me if you got stuck here because there are a number of gotcha's in AD that are not obvious. This is also FREE but you may find it takes quite some time to assemble all that information. It is also called re-inventing the wheel.
              The third option, which is what I recommended, is to buy the migration kit at $125 or pay $200 if you want with some of the documented steps scripted - saving you more time.
              This is my considered professional answer to a tricky complex question. You can take the "free" methods, if you do not value your time. My experience shows that there are not usually enough hours in the day, and time is precious. That is why I sometimes pay for support incidents from Microsoft PSS ($245), Symantec ($30) and Veritas( $??) even though they all have web sites with TONS of info on how to solve problems.
              I suggest you try to take a more professional approach, and learn to value your time. Also don't expect other people to solve your problems for you for NOTHING.
              MVP status is not something as be all and end all. It is a recognition by MS of a level of knowledge with a high degree of participation in the COMMUNITY.
              BTW we also have to earn a living.
              I hope you solve your problem in the best manner, because we are here to help and give out our professional advice.
              Have a good day.
              Last edited by teiger; 12th September 2005, 09:20.
              TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
              http://www.wintra.co.il/
              sigpic
              Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

I'm a regular user on Mark Minasi's forum, and was pointed across here by another contributor. I like the look of this forum and (in general) the approaches by folks to each other. In addition - I can understand why some users may perceive that others may be using forums for personal gain. I do NOT have any personal gain from sbsmigration, but when I was faced with an sbs2000 box that I knew was about to die - the hard disks were decidely unhappy - one of the folks on that forum pointed me at the swing migration kit.

With the kit, and some quiet time I was able to completely transfer an architects practice from sbs2000 to sbs2003 - and the only thing they noticed was that for approx. 35 minutes we had to re-point printers and plotters.

Now I'm no technical slouch but I don't really undestand adsi (and don't really need to), but the beauty of the kit is that it holds your hand - if you read the instructions. In addition, I had to contact Jeff with a couple of queries and he sorted me out. Further - buy the right version of the kit and you can use it to migrate / transfer other systems (I re-did my own SBS with it and a couple of 2000/2003 upgrades). And yes I do subscribe to TechNet and yes the answers are all in there, but I know when I'm beat!!

Maybe you've seen that particular user posting in a few forums - because he (or she) like a lot of us has seen the benefits of giving and taking in forums. And maybe you are getting hacked off with the same response - but the vitriol was a bit over the top!!

Comment

Working...
                X