New SBS 2008 Install

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New SBS 2008 Install

I am about to install SBS 2008 in my home for testing purposes and do not have a static IP. Since I will be using a Dynamic IP I was just wondering what steps I need to take to make this work? This is my first SBS 2008 install though I have used SBS 2003. I was doing a little bit of research and it looks like I will need to set up a smarthost for my email since I am with AT&T and I believe they block port 25 (not sure if true though). Any recommendations or what I need to do since I have a dynamic IP is greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

Re: New SBS 2008 Install

Nothing special internally
    Externally, if you want to receive email, use no-ip or similar to link to your dynamic IP
    Is your ISP blocking port 25 inbound or outbound -- normally the former -- if so, consider using the pop3 connection service if the company hosting your domain name offer that
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

if your ISP blocks _inbound_ connections to port 25, you won't be able to receive email to port 25 on your sbs server
      However - if you don't have a static ip and domain name, you won't be able to anyway, unless you use something like no-ip as suggested.

If your isp doens't allow inbound connections on port 25, you may need to change to a small business type connection, or one where you're able to accept inbound connections.
      Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

I was thinking of just using a smart host for my email so I can have it redirected to a different port, one that my ISP is not blocking for Dynamic IP addresses. I was also looking at DynDNS as well as no-ip. Not sure which one to go with but from my little research so far it looks like DynDNS is free.
        Thanks for the help so far.

Comment

DynDNS is free IF you want to use one of their subdomains, I think you have to pay if you want to use your own domain (from memory).

I have been using it for a few years now and found it to be excellent, luckily my router has a DynDNS client built in so there is no need for me to run software on any of my machines to keep it updated either.

Comment

Hi J.

the installation is much the same as the default SBS 2008 Install. Except you will need a Dynamic Host on your router. You also need to make sure you have port forwarding on your routerand firewall.

As for the Dynamic DNS you can look into DynDns.org. Then once you finished with your installation of the server you make remote.yourdomain.com a C:name that will point to the DynDNs.

Comment

What do you mean I will need a Dynamic Host on my router?
              Thanks

Comment

Some routers will "talk" to DynDNS and similar and update them with their current IP
                If not, there are utilities that can run on a server or client and do the same
                Tom Jones
                MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                IT Trainer / Consultant
                Ossian Ltd
                Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Thats what I thought but just wanted to make sure.
                  Thanks

Comment

Working...
                  X