Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any reason to backup SharePoint data separate from a complete WSB job?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any reason to backup SharePoint data separate from a complete WSB job?

I have a Windows SBS 2008 Standard machine that I have set up on a 6-times-a-day backup schedule via the backup wizard. The backups allow for Volume, File, Applicaiton, Bare Metal and System State recoveries.

However, I was wondering if there was any point to performing a separate backup of SharePoint data. I've been reading about how to perform backups with stsadm.exe, the SharePoint Central Admin page as well as even the SQL Express Management studio. However, I'm not versed enough in SharePoint to know if any of that is more helpful if a file or database restoration is needed than the WSB is. I suspect not... but don't know enough to be confident in that judgement yet.

Any advice from sage SharePoint people? Thanks!
    Wesley David
    LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
    -------------------------------
    Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
    Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
    Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
    Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Re: Any reason to backup SharePoint data separate from a complete WSB job?

Back in the saddle, eh? Hopefully this helps:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../cc263166.aspx

Comment

Thanks Joe! I figured that to answer my question, I had to have a good understanding of the whole backup and restoration process of SharePoint so I've been perusing blogs and TechNet articles concerning SharePoint backups/restores (including that page you linked to; tons of info there!). I was just hoping for a quick answer concerning the usefulness of SharePoint restores from a WSB vs restores from a stsadm or Management Studio backup.

Looks like I've got a lot of reading to do in the near future.
      Wesley David
      LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
      -------------------------------
      Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
      Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
      Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
      Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

Glad to help. Happy reading!

Comment

Working...
        X