Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Public Folder vs Shared Mailbox

Hello,

I am about to get Exchange up and running and i have the following question. Currently we have a standalone PC collecting emails to [email protected]. There are also a load of contacts stored in there. I want to set up users with their own personal email (easy enough) and have access to this shared mailbox (and contacts).

As i understand, i could either mail enable a public folder or create a "Sales User" and then use permissions to share the mailbox. Which is reccomend / best practice? What actually are the differences between the two methods?

Kind Regards

Re: Public Folder vs Shared Mailbox

How about creating a Distribution Group for [email protected]?

Comment

Thanks for the reply.

Becuase i want all users to be able to access all the previous sent messages from the [email protected] PST

Comment

Are you running SBS 2003?
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
          Are you running SBS 2003?
          Uhuh. SBS2003 R2 Standard.

Comment

There is nothing special about this question for SBS. It is more of an Exchange practices question and can be easily ed. www.slipstick.com has some good info on this.
            In general, your problems are how does one person in the group know if one or more members of the group have read or are dealing with an item? More importantly, how does one member of the group know if a reply has been sent out by another? This needs discipline such as send to all members of the group via Bcc any replies that are sent from the shared/public mailbox.
            The only advantage I can think of for a Public Folder against a Shared Mailbox is that, if it will be a high volume and large mails will be sent, then Public Folders doesn't count towards your Mailbox Folders database size limit (<=75GB in 2003, SP2).
            TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
            http://www.wintra.co.il/
            sigpic
            Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Thanks for the reply.

With regards to the users - there are only 3 so its not like i have to deal with a massive group. Basically all im wanting is for the users to each have an outlook account with [email protected] as their primary email. They could then also see the [email protected] as a secondary mailbox (with all the old emails there).

When a new message comes into to [email protected] all users can see it, but one will reply to it, and the reply will be sent from the [email protected] (with the reply to address as [email protected] - so eventually all messgaes should just go straight to [email protected])

Its a small office so im not worried about communication between the users (and the message replied icon in Outlook should be an indicator to the other users that the message has already been replied to). So basically i just want to know what is the best praticses way of achieving this? What would you do?

Cheers

Comment

Best Practices tend to be useful in large orgs, and I feel that in your situation it would not make much difference, both are valid, but my personal approach would be to create a "Sales User" and then use permissions to share the mailbox to the other three people.
                Best wishes,
                PaulH.
                MCP:Server 2003; MCITP:Server 2008; MCTS: SBS2008

Comment

If we are already discussing this here (though it is not really the appropriate forum), I feel that a mail to [email protected] with a reply from [email protected], loses the whole point. The reply will only be in the [email protected] mailbox as will any further communication.
                  I think that full use of the sales mailbox/PF is more appropriate.
                  TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
                  http://www.wintra.co.il/
                  sigpic
                  Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Working...
                  X