This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Managing Roaming Profile power users

We have a SBS 2003 server. We are using roaming profiles. Each user is set up as a power user. All machines are WinXP prof.

We are using SAP and each time a patch is issued, the IT guy has to go to each machine and log on as admin to install the patch. Is there an easier way
    when the users are set as power users that the server admin can push out these patches automatically without us having to logon as admin?

If so, could you provide the navigation/procedure?

thanks

Glenda Tucker

Re: Managing Roaming Profile power users

What format are the patches in?
    If they are a .msi or .msp they can be rolled out by Group Policy
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I think they are .msi
      Can you give me a round about idea how to do this?

thanks,

Comment

is your friend
        TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
        http://www.wintra.co.il/
        sigpic
        Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Here is a link to the Microsoft site on their white paper to use GPO to push software.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/816102

Why not just put the domain users group as a member of the local admin group on each machine? I know that might not be the best way to do it, but in a lot of companies that works well.

wis

Comment

Originally posted by wisdum View Post

Why not just put the domain users group as a member of the local admin group on each machine? I know that might not be the best way to do it, but in a lot of companies that works well.

wis
            I know that SBS wizards make the users local admins, but common "wisdum" these days says make the users as dumb as possible for security reasons and reducing attack vectors. That is one reason that on Vista/Weven, there is the UAC even if you are an administrator.
            TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
            http://www.wintra.co.il/
            sigpic
            Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Originally posted by teiger View Post
              but common "wisdum" these days says make the users as dumb as possible for security reasons and reducing attack vectors.
              And I thought it was just to match their real-life capabilities
              Tom Jones
              MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
              PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
              IT Trainer / Consultant
              Ossian Ltd
              Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Thanks for the information. This was helpful.

This issue has been resolved.

Comment

Working...
                X