Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clean Installation, old server in bad shape

Hello,

I have put all of my questions in this post, the TS question may be more suited to another category.

We have a brand new client that previously hasn't been well looked after. They have a SBS2003 STD server (5 years old), a 2003 server (roughly 2 years old) with the Terminal Server role configured and 55 client computers.

We are replacing only the SBS2003 server (all the budget will allow) with a new SBS2008 STD server. Unfortunately we will perform a clean installation as the previous server has many configuration issues and we feel it is too risky to try to migrate the old server. We only have one weekend to complete this work.

My questions are;
    The TS has Office 2007 and a number of other LOB applications installed. My understanding is that we have to completely reinstall this server and join it to the new 2008 domain, is this the case? Is there a way we can just purchase new 2008 CALs and join the 2008 domain? That would save us a lot of time reinstalling their LOB applications.

There are a decent number of client computers we will have to remove from the current domain and rejoin to new new domain because we are performing a clean installation. Normally we would;
    Backup and restore their Desktop, favourites, My Documents (if not redirected), nickname cache and PST archive files. Whilst this copies most of each user's data they will still end up with a new profile, is there a better way of doing this? We would like their desktops to look and function the same as when they were on the old domain. We are also worried about the time it will take to backup and restore this data.

Finally they have 65GB in their private store, some users with 6GB of mail. With smaller sites we would PST each mailbox when performing a clean installation, what is the best and fastest way of moving their mail into their new user accounts?

Thanks for reading and here's hoping that you can help us simplify the installation.

Re: Clean Installation, old server in bad shape

It may be worthwhile to check this out:

http://www.sbsmigration.com/

Comment

Why not do a swing migration (www.sbsmigration.com) as this will preserve all settings etc

Damn, should have refreshed first....
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd
      Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Hello and thank you for your quick replies.

I will have a look now. I have never performed a swing migration so is there anything crucial to be aware of?

How will the TS react? I believe I will need new CALs as the TS will be connecting to a SBS 2008 server. Are you aware of any doco that will describe the required steps?

Thanks again.

Comment

Hello,

Because we feel the current server is so poorly set up, we kinda like the idea of only bringing their data across.

I understand the swing will help me with the TS, email, the client computers and give me more time to complete the installation but what nasties could I bring from the old server which we have never supported. The whole current set up is terrible!

If I have to I will swing but is there a way to not have to reload the TS, a better way to save the user profiles than I have described and to move their email?

I don't mean to be a pain I just want to fully understand all of my options and figure out the disadvantages of each way.

Thank you

Comment

TS CALs belong to the TS server, so if this stays as Server 2003, your old CALs will still be valid

If you do a new install, no problems joining the TS to the new domain as long as the TS licensing is on the TS, not on the SBS 2003 box
            Tom Jones
            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Thanks Ossian for your reply, we will perform a clean install.

TS Licensing is on the TS. In the Licensing window it shows both the TS and SBS servers but the SBS server is disabled. The same view is on the SBS server when I look at the Licensing screen.

What is the best way to save the user profiles on their workstations? We currently would save their desktop, favourites, and documents, nickname cache and the archive PST files. We then copy these back on after rejoining the new domain. Is there a better way?

How would you recommend moving the email from the old SBS 2003 server to the new SBS 2008 server? Some users have 6GB of mail.

Thanks

Comment

If the mailboxes are smaller than 2 gb export them with exmerge in to pst.
                if they are bigger break the mailbox down in multiple pst`s manualy or let the user clean up their mailboxes. it is a lot of work but this the best thing to do

Comment

Working...
                X