Win 7 and SBS 2008

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Win 7 and SBS 2008

I am going to do a small network for a customer next month that will consist of an SBS 2008 server and 15 new workstations. I can still buy Dell desktops downgraded to XP, but I have also been very please with my TechNet Windows 7 on my company SBS 2008 network.

Does anyone have a recommendation or comments concerning using Windows 7 Professional vs. XP Professional? I have heard the 'connect' wizard does not work and at one point, the shadow copy client did not work.

Thanks
    Network Engineers do IT under the desk

Re: Win 7 and SBS 2008

I can't comment on the shadow copy client not working, but my connect client worked just fine after I had patched the SBS 2008 machine up to SP2 (I think that was the patch...). I like what I've seen of Windows 7 and it's client-side preferences as well as printer deployment. I think it'll make your life a lot easier.

I think it's high time we ditched XP. It fought a good battle and served honorably. Let it die in pieces.
    Wesley David
    LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
    -------------------------------
    Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
    Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
    Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
    Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

the other way to look at it is this.. you're going to deliver an entire new network to a customer, using a brand new operating system.. without knowing if it's going to support any specific line of business applications.

Are you ready to field the calls about the things that are new and different, or just "not what it used to be" (ie, my partner loves complaining about the lack of a show-desktop icon, first that it didn't exist, that windows-D wasn't good enough, then, when i eventually found it (over the far right of the start bar, if it helps) that it was in the worng place, and why couldn't we move it :P)

but then you have to consider the cost aspect as well..
      Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Another point to consider, XP won't be supported for too much longer.
        Wesley David
        LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
        -------------------------------
        Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
        Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
        Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
        Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

I am really just concerned about the technical aspects of Windows 7 in an SBS 2008 environment but thank you for your comments. It appears that the SBS rollout #2 addresses most of my concerns.

At some point the customer has to take that quantum leap forward from XP to Vista and I will give them that choice now that I know Win 7 works well with SBS 2008.
          Network Engineers do IT under the desk

Comment

Working...
          X