X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Optimal migration SBS 2003 to 2008 on new HW

Hi,

We have SBS 2003 SP2 server.

I want to migrate this server to SBS 2008, on other hardware (perhaps virtualised).

What is the best way to do the migration, with the least configuration changes necessary on the clients?

I have a preference for starting with a clean install of SBS 2008 on the new hardware, and then 'importing' the AD and exchange from the old to the new server, but don't quite know how to do this efficiently...

Thomas.

Re: Optimal migration SBS 2003 to 2008 on new HW

This seems to be the easiest way. http://www.sbsmigration.com/
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Re: Optimal migration SBS 2003 to 2008 on new HW

Originally posted by Thomas_VDB View Post
      Hi,

I have a preference for starting with a clean install of SBS 2008 on the new hardware, and then 'importing' the AD and exchange from the old to the new server, but don't quite know how to do this efficiently...
      You cannot do a clean install, then import AD. You must first ensure that your AD is clean and working. You must then connect your intended new server to the existing AD and let it replicate. THEN you can effectively install cleanly. Either read and follow EXACTLY the MS migration doc or buy and (again) follow EXACTLY the procedures given in Swing Migration that Biggles77 referred to.

Before you start, take a "copy" of your existing server by using a P2V utility, then do 1,2 or 3 trial migrations in (a) virtual machine(s). You may end up deciding to leave your final production server as a virtual machine after this - there are pros and cons for that also.
      TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
      http://www.wintra.co.il/
      sigpic
      Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Working...
      X