• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• P clients have long boot times in 2003 Small Business Server domain

Here the scenario:

Windows 2003 SBS domain
    6 PC environment (all XP SP2 clients)
    1 Laptop (XP SP2 as well)

When the PCs and Laptop boot/reboot the "Applying Computer Settings" and "Applying Network Settings" windows take up to 8 minutes to finish before prompting the user to log in.

I have tried removing a couple PCs from the network to see if it was an issue on a workgroup. No problems when not on the domain.
    I have checked DNS on the server and verified with DNSlint that my DNS configuation is healthy.
    I have applied all updates to the PCs.
    I have checked for Spyware & Viruses

I am thinking it could be related to Group Policies? The server happens to be located at a remote site that I don't have direct access too, we currently have to webex in to do maintenace or go out on site. So anything I can do remotely would be strongly appreciated.
    Last edited by Bacchus; 22nd August 2005, 18:11. Reason: incorrect spelling

Re: P clients have long boot times in 2003 Small Business Server domain

How fast is the connection between offices??

Why do you have your server on a different site than your clients????

Comment

Have you tried disabling SMB signing? It is more than likely not needed in an SBS network and details of how to disable it can be found here:
      http://www.smallbizserver.net/Default.aspx?tabid=139
      Although the article does not refer specifically to your issue, it may provide a solution
      TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
      http://www.wintra.co.il/
      sigpic
      Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Hi

I have had this problem , the 1st time I set up a 2003 SBS system I added additional (isp external) DNS server address on the dhcp scope, the problem occurs if the servers own ipaddress is not the 1st on the list.

It took this sort of time before allowing a local client logon.

Comment

Working...
        X