DNS IP Update doesn't work

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DNS IP Update doesn't work

On a Win2k3 SBS server I am running DNS. The IP address of the server used to be 10.0.0.2 - it is now 10.0.0.20. I changed it to make way for a secondary router (the moron who originally installed this server didn't plan for expansion).

I have changed EVERYTHING I can find in DNS to point the A record and any other setting that still says 10.0.0.2 so it says 10.0.0.20. It works for about 5 minutes. Then - boom - the A record is back to saying the server is at 10.0.0.2.

What the heck am I doing wrong? How can I change it to the new IP address and make the change stick?

Any ideas?
    TTFN
    Rex Derby

Re: DNS IP Update doesn't work

Have you tried:

TCPIP Settings -> Advanced -> DNS tab -> Tick register this connections in the DNS?
    Server 2000 MCP
    Development: ASP, ASP.Net, PHP, VB, VB.Net, MySQL, MSSQL - Check out my blog http://tonyyeb.blogspot.com

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Have you re-booted the server??

Did you flush the DNS cache??

Have you tried to re-register the DNS connection??

ipconfig /registerdns

Comment

I did indeed, and to my great dismay and consternation, it didn't help. I also went directly to AD and plugged in a Static IP, and still no luck.

I have 2 zones - one is the domain.com and the other is the domain.local. The .com one has an action available to Update Server Data File - the .local one has that action grayed out. If I change the A record and everything else that says 10.0.0.2 to read 10.0.0.20, and then hit the Reload, it all goes back to 10.0.0.2.

If I just let it sit, I think it does a reload on it's own from those damn Server Data Files, but I can't seem to save my settings to update them.

Please help - I will send Pizza and Mountain Dew.
        TTFN
        Rex Derby

Comment

Wullieb1,

===
          Have you re-booted the server??
          Did you flush the DNS cache??
          Have you tried to re-register the DNS connection??
          ipconfig /registerdns
          ===

I have rebooted
          I have flushed DNS cache
          Stopped and started DNS

I have NOT tried to re-register - I will go try that now
          TTFN
          Rex Derby

Comment

I did the ipconfig /registerdns, and for some reason it seemed to hold, then I tried a reload and it went back to 10.0.0.2.

So I changed it again and I'm waiting to see if it holds for more than half an hour. I don't know how long it takes - but I'm going to try to be patient.
            TTFN
            Rex Derby

Comment

Is the IP address static??

Do you have DHCP installed on the server??

Comment

The re-register didn't work. It wnet back after about 15 minutes.

The IP address IS static. I do have DHCP instaled, but it is handing out IP addresses to workstations only. All the servers are Static IP. The others now have correct A rocords, and none of those revert to the old IP. Only the SBS server itself.
                TTFN
                Rex Derby

Comment

Does the actual IP address change within the TCP/IP properties of the NIC properties???

What IP address do you get when you ping the server by name from a client??

Remember to clear the DNS cache on the client.

Have you tried to scavenge the stale resource records??

Have you tried to delete the record and create a new host record using the new IP details??

Comment

Does the actual IP address change within the TCP/IP properties of the NIC properties??? - Yes it does.

What IP address do you get when you ping the server by name from a client?? - If I flush the cache, the client returns 10.0.0.20 for a while, then when the DNS record goes back to 10.0.0.2, the client returns 10.0.0.2 as well

Remember to clear the DNS cache on the client. - Did that.

Have you tried to scavenge the stale resource records?? - I don't know what that is or how to do it, but I'm willing to try anything.

Have you tried to delete the record and create a new host record using the new IP details?? - First thing I tried.

The only thing I can think of is to go in to the registry and change every instance I find of 10.0.0.2 to 20, but I don't know if that's where the info is stored. I'm leery of doing that if I can avoid it. I might hose the whole server.
                    TTFN
                    Rex Derby

Comment

You could try recreating the Active Directory zone in DNS. Delete it in DNS manager, do all the other flushes, ipconfig/flushdns etc between 3 & 4 and also between 10 & 11:

From KB 260371
                      1. Start the DNS Management console.
                      2. Right-click the name of the zone, and then click Delete.
                      3. Click OK to acknowledge any warnings. The Forward Lookup zones no longer list the deleted zone.
                      4. Right-click Forward Lookup Zones, and then click New Zone.
                      5. The New Zone Wizard starts. Click Next to continue.
                      6. Click the appropriate zone type (either Active Directory-integrated or Standard primary, and then click Next.
                      7. Type the name of the zone exactly as it appears in Network Identification, and then click Next.
                      8. Click the appropriate zone file, or a new zone file. Click Next, and then click Finish to finish the New Zone Wizard. The newly created zone appears in the DNS Management console.
                      9. Right-click the newly created zone, click Properties, and then change Allow Dynamic Updates to Yes.
                      10. At a command prompt, type net stop netlogon, and then press ENTER. The Netlogon service is stopped.
                      11. Type net start netlogon, and then press ENTER. The Netlogon service is restarted.
                      12. Refresh the view in the DNS Management console. The Active Directory DNS records should be listed under the zone.
                      TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
                      http://www.wintra.co.il/
                      sigpic
                      Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Working...
                      X