GP Extensions for Windows 7 / Server2008

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GP Extensions for Windows 7 / Server2008

Is there GP extensions available for SBS 2003 that would let me customize and control the start menu for my Server 2008 Terminal Server?

I want to disable several of the folders that is possible when you customize the start menu. I want the start menu to be the same for all the terminal server users tha log on. I would like to do this through GP on the SBS 2003 server.

Thanks,

{update}

I installed the Server 2008 client side extension for Server 2003 on my SBS 2003 SP2 server and then I rebooted the server. Editing any of the SBS group policies, I do not see anything specific added that pertains to Server 2008.

What I want to do is customize the Server 2008 start menu and hide the control panel because it is a TS. I want to do this from SBS 2003 using GP. Any suggestions?

Thanks again.
    Last edited by RobW; 6th February 2010, 22:50.
    Network Engineers do IT under the desk

Re: GP Extensions for Windows 7 / Server2008

Could end up looking like a total twit here, but I was under the impression that the Server Side Extensions were so pre Server 2008 operating systems would accept Server 2008 GPOs.
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
      Could end up looking like a total twit here, but I was under the impression that the Server Side Extensions were so pre Server 2008 operating systems would accept Server 2008 GPOs.
      THe forums rules state quite clearly that all post are to be only in English, so could you try running that one past us again, in ENGLISH!
      TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
      http://www.wintra.co.il/
      sigpic
      Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

This is the first sentence of the introduction paragraph for Server 2008 CSE,

"This article discusses the Group Policy preferences that are new in Windows Server 2008 and how to enable down-level computers to process these new items."

taken from this KB http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943729 . I am hopeful waht I installed on my SBS 2003 server will allow e to access the preferences in Server 2008. I just don't see the 'Preferences' folder in the GP editor.

Comment

If I understand correctly, you will not see a separate 'Preferences' tab - just new options in the existing structure - as listed in the same KB you quoted:

Examples of the new Group Policy preference extensions include the following:
          Folder Options
          Drive Maps
          Printers
          Scheduled Tasks
          Services
          Start Menu
          TIA

sigpic
          Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

Comment

Thanks teiger. I guess the next step is to give it a try. I want to hide the Control Panel and Run menu for start

Comment

Run Menu should be no problem, but remember to close the CMD Window also. Control Panel is more problematic - as it is often available from Explorer. Think carefully before implementing...
              TIA

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
                Originally posted by RobW
                "This article discusses the Group Policy preferences that are new in Windows Server 2008 and how to enable down-level computers to process these new items."
                See Steven, almost word for word what I said. (At least I knew what I meant )

Def: twit; person who send messages on twitter.
                1 1 was a racehorse.
                2 2 was 1 2.
                1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
                X