Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sbs 2003 + sbs 2008

Hi

We have a sbs 2003 up and running and buyed a sbs 2008. I had to disable 2003's DHCP in order to activate full functions of sbs 2008. The old 2003 network was very badly configure and I want to organize it better.
    In order to do that I want to configure DHCP to split the old domain and the new domain with 10.0.0.x and 10.0.1.x
    Is there a way to do so?

Thx!

Re: sbs 2003 + sbs 2008

Are you going to completely migrate your 2003 domain to the 2008 domain? Is this a swing migration or a total forklift migration?
    Wesley David
    LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
    -------------------------------
    Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
    Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
    Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
    Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

How many users?
      Is Exchange being used?
      Any reason why you need to run 2 different SBS Server?
      If only a few users then is may be better just to move the data across onto a totally new build?
      1 1 was a racehorse.
      2 2 was 1 2.
      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Hi

There are more than 20 users. The idea is to slowly move from 2003 to 2008 and take the time to reorganize shares, groups, permissions, and so on. We are moving first the least important account in order to do migration easier. We are not in a hurry and we don't want to have long downtimes.
        So, any way of doing this DHCP thing?

Comment

Since you can only have one DHCP server per subnet, I don't see a way of doing this unless you have a router / VLAN between the SBS machines. Your intention is to keep old PCs on the old scope and then as you migrate PCs to the new SBS machine they'd get the new address just for easy visual representation of what PCs are on what domain? Worst case scenario: you create DHCP reservations for the PCs and as you migrate them to the new SBS machine you manually change the IP that they get.
          Wesley David
          LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
          -------------------------------
          Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
          Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
          Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
          Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

I see... that's a good solution. I'll see what I can do

Thanks!

Comment

Have you read ANY of the SBS Migration documents?
              TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
              http://www.wintra.co.il/
              sigpic
              Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Yes, but this is not a migration right now. It's kind of a new server for now and it will host the new users slowly. That's why I didn't think of it as a full scale migration...

Comment

Even if it is only half scale - it s still a migration. Is there a good reason why you don't bite the bullet and move everyone over in one go? Otherwise, I fear, you are in for a lot of pain and management headaches.
                  TIA

sigpic
                  Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

Comment

I'm not thinking of it as a migration because I will NOT "move" any user. I'm just going to create the same users *name* and locally copy the mails (ost->pst)->change domain-> (pst->ost). The old setup is REALLY a mess with lots of configurations/permission/etc. problem and moving user will only move the problems.
                    I'll try to start from scratch. The Only thing that will be copied are mails. Files will be reorganized and shares made again because they've grown to a point where data is un-organized.

Comment

I don't envy you!
                      Like I said, lots of headaches: new desktops and profiles, how do you share in the interim, who prints where etc
                      TIA

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                      X