Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SBS2k8 is So many issues and so little help!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SBS2k8 is So many issues and so little help!

Hi All

This is the Zilion Post regarding issues on SBS 2008big frustration of not giving a resilient good solution to client!

we are dealing with error in shadow copy while backing up using the internal tool םכ sbs 2008 ( god forbid )

"A Volume Shadow Copy Service operation failed.
    Unknown error (0x800423f4)"

secondly i am thinking of reinstalling WSUS after an uninstall was performed mistakenly

does any one can suggest
    i am thinking to perform a new wsus install like on a regular server 2008 rather then taking into account sbs considerations ...
    also ibelive i can not download important updates even though win updates seems to work when trying download from win update

i'll write soon about further progress
    gabby
    Last edited by gventura; 5th February 2010, 12:09.

Re: SBS2k8 is So many issues and so little help!

How many times have you installed it? I have practiced installing it and migrating it about 10-15 times - and I still do not have one site in production. Keep practicing: but not on clients' sites!!
    TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
    http://www.wintra.co.il/
    sigpic
    Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Originally posted by gventura View Post
      Hi All

we are dealing with error in shadow copy while backing up using the internal tool
      םכ sbs 2008 ( god forbid )

"A Volume Shadow Copy Service operation failed.
      Unknown error (0x800423f4)"
      If you have a Dell server, there is a possibility that the C: partition was not set to Active. It is not as easy as just marking it Active as that will make your system non-bootable. There are steps that need to be followed.

From smallbizserver.net ~ http://www.smallbizserver.net/Forums...c/Default.aspx

~
      - Mark the Windows Partition as active in Disk Manager
      - Backup works fine now (and that makes me feel better about having an unbootable server now!)
      Step 2
      - Let's fix the boot configuration:
      - Boot from SBS 2008 install DVD, click next, next, install now until the point where you are asked for the product key
      - Press Shift-F10 to get command prompt
      - Let's 'unhide' the evil OEM partition:
      - type Diskpart and hit enter
      - type 'list volume'
      - see the volume that is about 63MB in size and FAT partitioned? - that's the number we need, in my case it was '2'
      - type 'select volume 2'
      - type 'assign' to assign a drive letter
      - type 'list volume' to see which drive letter was assigned - in my case it was "F:"
      - type 'exit' to exit diskpart
      - unhide bootmgr file and bcd directory by typing:
      'attrib -h -s f:\boot\bcd' and 'attrib -h -s f:\bootmgr'
      - copy bootmgr and boot dir over from f:\ to c:\:
      - type 'robocopy f:\boot\ c:\boot\' ('xcopy' or 'copy' might work too, i just like robocopy better)
      - type 'copy f:\bootmgr c:\bootmgr
      Now let's fix the boot configuration using the SBS 2008 DVD
      - run 'x:\sources\recovery\startrep.exe' - follow the wizard
      - reboot when the wizard is finished and everything should be fine!
      ~

Comment

everything is great.... it all works.... but you have to 86 the windows update SP2 and read about a hundred blogs. Then everything will work.

Comment

oh... forgot to mention..... maybe one of your hard disks is shot.

Comment

Working...
          X