Administrator password - virus?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Administrator password - virus?

I have a client running SBS 2003. Recently, the client called to say she was getting an "incorrect user id or password" message when she tried to log on to the server as the administrator - the usual password was not working.

I tried two different password reset utilities, and while both appeared to complete successfully, neither setting a blank password or setting a new password worked.

I tried to boot in safe mode, but this goofy HP uses F8 for selecting a boot device, so I couldn't get into safe mode.

I was able to access Active Directory Users and Computers from a desktop pc to see if there was another user with admin rights. I found one named "user" but I have no idea from where it came, or what the password is. It does not show up in the password reset utilities. No other users have admin rights.

Is it possible that the reset utilities work, but something in the boot process - a virus? a trojan? - changes the password again? Any assistance would be GREATLY appreciated, as the only thing I can think to do at this point is to rebuild.

Thank you.

Re: Administrator password - virus?

I would do a couple of things before that.
    Firts do a thorough Virus scan , varios AV products with up-to date signatures if possible. Try the Password reset/recovery process again with a proven tool.
    Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

You may have already tried, but various boot disks provide functions for AV scanning and Password reset.

I lost a password to a SBS 2008 Dev system in Vmware - had to reinstall as the reset passwords options would not reset domain admin accounts.

Best of luck

Comment

Any suggestion on the best anti-virus scanner(s) to try?

Comment

You can't just reset the password using many common utilities - since they mostly reset LOCAL passwords and SBS is a DC so it only has an AD password and no LOCAL password database as such. There is an article on this forum on how to reset the domain adminstrator password, but IIRC you need to be able to use F8.
          TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
          http://www.wintra.co.il/
          sigpic
          Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Hi mate,

Google - live boot cd antivirus.....loads to pick from.

Cheers

Comment

Working...
            X