No announcement yet.

Migration from sbs2003 to Windows 2008 R2 Standard

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Migration from sbs2003 to Windows 2008 R2 Standard

Hello everyone,

I'm currently researching a migration from an SBS2003 SP2 server to Windows 2008 R2 Standard (non SBS). While there is quite a bit of information available online, I am not certain on how this should eventually be done in order to ensure the best possible result.

The network consists of around 50 users plus a couple of servers running windows 2003 standard. I'm not interested in setting up an Exchange server since we've already replaced the mail service with a 3rd party solution.

Currently, I can see that the SBS2003 and one more server are marked as Domain Controllers.

Once the Windows 2008 server is promoted to DC, the SBS2003 will be removed permanently from the network.

Obviously, the new DC will perform all FSMO roles, including DNS etc, plus I've purchased all necessary CALs to add them to the DC and ensure we've covered all users.

If someone could provide a basic step-by-step walk through of what needs to be done, it would be highly appreciated as I've already got a VMWare environment setup to test the steps.

Thanks in advanced.