Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DC & AD Migration

Hi guys,

I am planning on migrating my DC & AD server from Windows 2000 Server to Windows 2008 R2. This is the first time i perform this, could any one of you guide me how to perform this job? I will have two scenarios: 1) doing this in the same physical W2K Server; or, 2) migrating this from existing physical W2k Server to another brand new physical W2008 Server

I knew from the IT administrator from my HQ that i need to migrate from W2K Server to W2003 R2 then to W2008 R2.

What should i especially to be careful of when migrating from W200 Server to W2003 R2 and from W2003 R2 to W2008 R2? DNS? WINS? NetBIOS?

Thank you guys very much and look forward to hearing your inputs.
    Mind is like a parachute, it only works when it's open!

Re: DC & AD Migration

your HQ admin is correct - you cannot do an inplace upgrade from 2000 to 2008.

with your upgrade, are you just adding a new domain controller to the domain, or did you need a whole new domain ?

If you're just adding a new DC, then:
    1. install OS, join domain
    2. install dns/dhcp roles as necessary
    3. perform schema updates (adprep) then promote new server to DC
    4. replicate. Test. transfer any configuration for dns, dhcp etc
    5. TRansfer master roles if required
    6. test again
    7. shut down old dc.
    8. Test.
    9.Demote.
    10. clean up.

it's hard to give a more indepth outline than that, without knowing your infrastructure..

Something else you need to do: evaluate your software packages, and ensure they are all suitable for 2008. I know that certain versions of Veritas Netbackup don't support 2008 for instance.
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Re: DC & AD Migration

Is this vanilla WinServer or SBS 2000? In any case, you can use the help given by www.sbsmigration.com - buy a "kit" for <$200 (specify it is from 2000 and NOT 2003) and it will tell you how to proceed. You will need an extra computer to act as a Temp DC, but it can be an ordinary PC or even a Virtual PC like I use on my laptop for such projects.
      TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
      http://www.wintra.co.il/
      sigpic
      Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Re: DC &amp; AD Migration

Hi teiger,

It's a SBS 2000 (server name: BXMYDC1) acting as DC & AD in my current environment. So you are suggesting me to set up a temp DC running SBS 2003 (temp server name: BXMYTDC1) to synchronize the DC database from existing SBS 2000 server. Am i right? How long the downtime will i experience in this case?

Comment

Hi tehcamel,

I believe i will perform the migration from SBS 2000 to SBS 2003 then to SBS 2008 on the same physical server. In this case, it is better to set up a Temp DC before migrating to SBS 2003 server as teiger suggested, am i right?

Comment

Initially zero downtime - all stages performed off-line. In the final stage the downtime is as long as it takes to backup all the data + exchange, prepare the hardware with the install and then restore all the data.
            Buy the kit - it will save you a LOT of heartache and give you someone to ask if you need detailed help.
            TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
            http://www.wintra.co.il/
            sigpic
            Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

DNS is the most critical. Run DcDiag /v and NetDiag /v and check all event logs.

Comment

Working...
              X