Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SBS 2008 can't make backup to Networkdrive!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SBS 2008 can't make backup to Networkdrive!

Hey.

I got a small problem whit my new SBS 2008 std. server. I have a Synology 207 I want to backup the SBS 2008 but can not find it. How do I set it up to be used for backup?

Thanks in advance

Thorsen

Re: SBS 2008 can't make backup to Networkdrive!

Can you see the Synology 207 in Disk Management?

You need to use the SBS 2008 Console's "Backup and Server Storage" tab to configure backups. Once a drive is used for backups, it will no longer be visible as a proper drive letter. It is solely available to the SBS 2008 backup program.
    Wesley David
    LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
    -------------------------------
    Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
    Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
    Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
    Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

No I can't se the Synology 207 in the Disk Management. I know it has to be setup but I dont know how.

Comment

Originally posted by Thorsen View Post
        No I can't se the Synology 207 in the Disk Management. I know it has to be setup but I dont know how.
        If you don't see the hard drive in disk management then it may be a driver issue, although more likely the hard drive itself or it's logic board is bad. Can you plug that hard drive into other computers to see if it works on them? If it doesn't work on any PC, then I'd feel safe in calling the hard drive defective and shipping it back for a replacement.
        Wesley David
        LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
        Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
        Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide

Comment

I am almost sure that you cannot use a NAS drive for SBS 2008 backup.
          TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
          http://www.wintra.co.il/
          sigpic
          Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Answering myself (first sign of madness!)
            Now I am convinced that you cannot backup to NAS natively. What you can do is described here:
            http://groups.google.com/group/micro...o+remote+share
            TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
            http://www.wintra.co.il/
            sigpic
            Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Doh! I didn't catch that it was a NAS device. As Teiger said, the backup console does not support backing up to a network drive. The only way to backup your SBS machine over the network is to manually use the wbadmin command line tool, however that does not include that fancy incremental backup versioning or restoration features that the SBS console offers. It backs up a single image at a time, and will overwrite any previously taken image in the target folder. I've had to do this in a pinch.

Use your Synology hard drive directly attached via USB or, as Teiger's link mentions, figure something out with iSCSI.
              Wesley David
              LinkedIn | Careers 2.0

Comment

I back up my SBS 2008 server to a Dell PowerEdge 745n NAS using iSCSI.
                Network Engineers do IT under the desk

Comment

Working...
                X