Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• no rename option to rename a folder

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone might be able to help me here. I have a folder under my shared folder that does not have rename options when right-click on it. For example, I have a main folder named "my shared folder", then have a subfolder called "CD - This is a report of Changing configuration @ Apache 2.2 Combination". I realise this is a very long file name. When i was trying to rename it by right click on the sub folder, it only gave me four options namely explore, open, search and send to.

Are there any way of working around this problem on SBS 2003 standard edition?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance

Re: no rename option to rename a folder

Have you tried renaming by CMD prompt?
    Are you accessing the folder via a share or directly on the server?
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Hi Ossian,

Thank you for your reply.

I have just tried to rename it via CMD directly on the server but it returned saying "The filename or extension is too long".

Are there any other way to get around this problem?

Thank you in advance

Comment

How about sharing the folders parent and mapping a drive to that
        That will reduce the path length (256 char IIRC) and should let you rename it
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Do you have the appropriate permissions to that folder?
          Is it possible that there is a hidden file running in the folder and your system has been compromised?
          Can you move or copy the files from the folder and use a specific tool to forcibly delete the folder, create a new one, then move the files back?
          1 1 was a racehorse.
          2 2 was 1 2.
          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

KISS
            Copy folder (or contents) to new folder with desired name
            Unshare existing folder if necessary
            Delete original folder
            Reshare new folder if necessary

Would that work?
            If not, one of the command shell tools like WinCommand should be able to help you.
            TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
            http://www.wintra.co.il/
            sigpic
            Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Working...
            X