No announcement yet.

Mail Delayed?

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mail Delayed?

Hi all

I have just set up a SBS2008 server on a new network, it's about a week old.

A few days ago I received a Mail Delayed notification for an email I sent to AOL. I fugured this was due to me not having set up rDNS yet, so I did that straight away and not had a problem since.

All of a sudden the last few hours worth of emails I have sent (from about 5 hours ago) have all just come back with Mail Delayed again. rDNS is set up, spf is set up.

The emails are all to several domains (some of which I manage) and I know for a fact some do not have any real stringent email policies in place.

How do I find out why they were delayed?

The message is:

This message has not yet been delivered. Microsoft Exchange will continue to try delivering the message on your behalf.

Delivery of this message will be attempted until 1/15/2010 5:56:12 PM (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time : Dublin, Edinburgh, Lisbon, London. Microsoft Exchange will notify you if the message can't be delivered by that time.

Re: Mail Delayed?

Well, figured it out, sorry for panic post.

Within Exchange Console I looked at the queues and saw the various email domains all with Error 400 4.4.7.

Googled the error and found something mentioning DNS. I could resolve, ping and telnet on port 25 to all the recipient mail servers. Still no joy.

I then looked at my DNS config and it had the forwarder set as my local router with a red X.

I manually added some opendns servers, hit retry on each email domain and they went without a hitch.

Not sure why it decided to break now, but least its fixed

Not cmpletely sure butfrom what i have read about that same issue , you should not use fowarders at all but root hints will be sufficiant
      did it work for me? oh my SBS just died to find out ..

Yes, I read the same thing actually. Although not 100% what the difference is...I better look it up. Although it is working now.