No announcement yet.

SBS 2003 licences

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SBS 2003 licences

Shortly I get the following messages on my SBS2003 box: "license usage for a product in per server mode is at the maximum number of licences purchased. ..."

Can I check wich users are connecting (using licences) and which are not using licences anymore? (eventlog, AD query, ...?)

I want to see if I can disable certain users.

Many users are setup in AD just to give access to SQL. These users only connect few times a day, others few times a week or month via ODBC connections.

Kind regards

Last edited by bertk; 13th January 2010, 15:21.

Re: SBS 2003 licences

It doesn't matter how many times or how frequently a user logs on - he has to have a Client Access License (CAL). The only alternative to that is if you have a workatation used my multiple users, like a teller in a bank or a shift worker in a factory, then you can buy device CALs which give you access per device. The user that uses that device (workstation) can not then connect via another device such as a mobile phone or a computer from home as only the device is licensed.
    Confused? You are not the only one - I don't think I have even explained it fully. What is more, SBS does not know to count correctly and therefore has a fudge factor built in before issuing the message you got.
    Despite all of the above, those who connect even once a month via AD to your SQL need a CAL, get enough to CYA
    Oh and the Server Manager /Shares shows who is connected and which files are open. Unfortunately, again it does not know how to count those connected to Exchange who also use up a CAL.

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
    Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.