Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using Novatel Wireless 3g modem as temp internet shared connection on sbs

Hi

I am attempting to set up my NetStick Novatel 3G modem on the SBS server as an alternative internet connection for the network. Anyone know if and how this can be done?

Usually I am connected via Cable Connection /012 VOIP adapter for those that the service is down for any reason there I'd like an alternative with the modem.

The modem installed and connects on the server giving it full Internet access but I can't figure out how to configure it as a shared connection so that the workstations can access.

Looking forward to your responses

Regards

Meir R.

Re: Using Novatel Wireless 3g modem as temp internet shared connection on sbs

I have never tried this, but I would think you would need to get a fixed-IP for your stick or alternatively use a DynDNS type service. Next, you would need to run the CEICW when the line goes down. At a minimum you would need to reconfigure your DNS forwarders and hope that everyting else played along nicely.
    TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
    http://www.wintra.co.il/
    sigpic
    Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Re: Using Novatel Wireless 3g modem as temp internet shared connection on sbs

I may be way off here but wouldn't it be easier to install a load balancing router and have it do the job for you...I have done this before - not on SBS but for other stuff..As long as SBS is configured to use the router as the gateway etc it shouldn't know any difference as to how the router gets out ?

Cheers

Comment

Working...
      X