X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• companyweb desktop link - want it gone

Hi All,

SBS 2008 Environment with XP clients

I've been ripping my hair out trying to find the policy/script that adds this companyweb link to the users desktop. If anyone has any insight it would be greatly appreciated!

I've looked through all GPO's and nothing there, I've also disabled client.vbs from running at login/logout.

Thanks,

Zvon.

Re: companyweb desktop link - want it gone

Administrative Tools
    Group Policy Management
    Windows SBS User Policy
    User Configuration
    Windows Settings
    Internet Explorer Maintenance
    URLs
    Important URLs
    Home Page URL - remove http://companyweb
    Customise Home Page URL - remove tick
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Thank you for response,

This does indeed remove it from IE's home page as default, however this setting does not remove the desktop link that gets created.

Already tried this before posting to forums

Comment

Have you got Active desktop enabled by any chance?
        If not sure, try a gpresult /v for any of the affected computers and post it here.
        Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

I simply delete it in the Logon Script:

Code:
          ::----------
          :: SBS 2008 puts an Internet Explorer shortcut on the user's desktop
          ::   "Internal Web site.lnk".
          ::   Since it has no function, other than to annoy, it is deleted here.
          set SBSlink="%userprofile%\Desktop\Internal Web site.lnk"
          if exist %SBSlink% (
            del %SBSlink%
            call :msg Deleted desktop "Internal Web site" link
          )

:: additionally, an entry is placed in the Start Menu of the current user
          set SBSpath=%userprofile%\Start Menu\Programs
          set SBSlink="%SBSpath%\Windows Small Business Server 2008\Internal Web site.lnk"
          if exist %SBSlink% (
            del %SBSlink%
            call :msg Deleted Start Menu "Internal Web site" link
          )
          :: get rid of the directory, for completeness
          set SBSdir="%SBSpath%\Windows Small Business Server 2008"
          rd %SBSdir% 1>nul 2>&1
          ::----------

Comment

nice script but not working on hebrew os
            so you can use vbs to check the שולחן עבודה path

but isnt there is someting more easy
            why to put something on the desktop and then delete

why just not put it there

Comment

Hi,

I spent quite a few hours googling today to find a solution to this issue - didn't seem to be one out there. This was one of the threads I found in my search.

Eventually, I figured out the answer for myself, and since I haven't seen this posted anywhere thought I'd better share it.

Basically this shortcut is dumped on the desktop of Windows XP clients by an XML file on the server which you can find in C:/Windows/system/sysvol/domain/Policies/{YOUR GUID}/User/SBS

If you edit that file (comment out the offending line) or rename it, you'll get rid of the annoying shortcut being generated all the time.

I posted instructions on my blog too, if you're interested in reading in a bit more detail http://www.bendweb.com/blog/?p=377

Good luck!

Comment

OT

You might want to take your non-business, non-appropriate tweets off your blog page though!!
                TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
                http://www.wintra.co.il/
                sigpic
                I’m honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We don’t stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

The CompanyWeb IE Default Home Page is configured within the ”Windows SBS User Policy” GPO .

The setting you need to change can be found within: Windows SBS User Policy => User Configuration => Windows Settings => Internet Explorer Maintenance => URLs / Important URL’s => Home Page URL

More info here in my blog: http://practicalsbs.wordpress.com/20...b-irritations/

Regards,
                  Stephen

Comment

Originally posted by teiger View Post
                    OT

You might want to take your non-business, non-appropriate tweets off your blog page though!!
                    Fair call. It's not a business blog, so it's kinda a free for all. And you just happened to see it at a bad time. Apologies for any offence caused.

Originally posted by studio_two View Post
                    The CompanyWeb IE Default Home Page is configured within the ”Windows SBS User Policy” GPO .

The setting you need to change can be found within: Windows SBS User Policy => User Configuration => Windows Settings => Internet Explorer Maintenance => URLs / Important URL’s => Home Page URL

More info here in my blog: http://practicalsbs.wordpress.com/20...b-irritations/

Regards,
                    Stephen
                    Great. But we already knew that, in fact it's mentioned in the second post of this thread. This thread is referring to the shortcut that is automatically placed on the desktop of Windows XP clients on an SBS 2008 domain.

Comment

Originally posted by Bendweb View Post
                      Great. But we already knew that, in fact it's mentioned in the second post of this thread. This thread is referring to the shortcut that is automatically placed on the desktop of Windows XP clients on an SBS 2008 domain.
                      Apologies, I was in a hurry yesterday and should have read things properly. No harm done!

Stephen

Comment

Thanks for detailing the home page fix, that Company Web Home Page redirection was causing all kinds issues for my users!

Comment

Working...
                        X