Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SBS 2003 - ISA2004 DHCP clients do not get an IP

Dear

Our SBS 2003 has always ran without ISA. Last weekend I installed ISA2004 and ISA2004SP3. There are 2NICS configured although Internet access is for a later stadium.

After having ISA2004 installed, my clients do not get an IP via DHCP. I have configured the 2 rules as described in http://technet.microsoft.com/nl-nl/l...8en-us%29.aspx to allow dhcp replies and requests and placed both rules on top of the firewall rules. (print screen attached).

Still my clients do not get a dhcp address. Before installing ISA DHCP was working fine.

From clients with fixed IP I can ping the SBS, I can browse to shared folders.

Any idea why I still do not get an IP via DHCP.

Kind regards

Bert
    Attached Files

Re: SBS 2003 - ISA2004 DHCP clients do not get an IP

Did you verify that your DHCP service is still running?

Imho, you'd have been better of buying a genuine firewall. It's always a mess trying to configure ISA on a SBS Server.

Comment

DHCP service is running and scope is ok. (installing ISA is not my call, due to limitations in budget my boss instructed me to get ISA up and running.)moving to a hardware firewall is not an option. I am stuck with ISA.

Comment

Originally posted by Toretto View Post
        Imho, you'd have been better of buying a genuine firewall. It's always a mess trying to configure ISA on a SBS Server.
        What do you base this on? ISA is an extremely capable firewall and integrates very well with SBS 2003, I support numerous customers with this setup.

It CAN be a mess if you don't configure it using the wizards, but that is the same for any component of SBS. Try running an ISA monitoring trace on the Internal Network and see if DHCP traffic is being denied by the ISA Server.

You should not need to create DHCP rules, as the default SBS Protected Networks Rule will allow access between the Internal Network and Localhost. If you don't have a load of Pre-Defined SBS rules showing in the Firewall Policy then that suggests that at least part of the setup wizard did not complete.
        BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
        sigpic
        Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Is this the ISA version that came with SBS 2003 or have you gone and purchased a stand alone copy of ISA?

If SBS came with ISA, you should be able to run the Wizards and configure it correctly that way.
          1 1 was a racehorse.
          2 2 was 1 2.
          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Dear

Thanks for all the input.

ISA came bundled wtih myu sbs 2003.

Possible to run ISA setup wizard again from scratch, where can I find it? I have exported the initial ISA config files so I can bring back ISA to initial state.

Internet and e-mail wizard is not run yet. From what I read on http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...8WS.10%29.aspx running the internet and e-mail wizard is crucial for DHCP setup with ISA.

Any thoughts?

Is there a full manual on SBS ISA2004 and DHCP setup.

regards

Bert

Comment

I wil run the CEICW this evening. I had a problem that my WAN IP was already in the LAT table. the Wan address was included in the "intern network" in ISA. It is excluded now so I will rerun the wizard this evening in order not to disturb or discoonect any users (this sbs is in a remote site).

Bert

Comment

UTFW - always a good idea - especially the CEICW!
                TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
                http://www.wintra.co.il/
                sigpic
                Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Did not have the time to play with isa. Meanwhile I have installed a cheap router with a fixed connection to one of my workstations to be able to VPN to one of our clients ' systems.Hope I find the time to continue testing with ISA.

Comment

Working...
                  X