Backup Exec 12.5 on SBS 2008 with ext harddisk

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Backup Exec 12.5 on SBS 2008 with ext harddisk

I have a machine with SBS 2008 and Symantec Backup Exec 12.5 for Windows SBS 2008.

The customer uses external harddrives for it's backups but they keep getting full. I want Backup Exec to overwrite the files on the harddrive not add them.

Anyone any ideas???

Re: Backup Exec 12.5 on SBS 2008 with ext harddisk

There is an option in teh media setup, where you can configure the overwrite and append policy for each media.

It's not done on the disk, but on the media set..

I'll have a look at work and try and give you some more indepth info
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

I use the removable backup-to-disk folder. maximum size for files is 4GB and the maximum number of backup sets per backup-to-disk file is set at 2 (the size of the external drive is 3,5 times as large at the backup data.

I have checked several times, but i cannot add a removable backup-to-disk folder to a media set.

Comment

Create a new Media Set for your B2D jobs and configure it with the appropriate settings. Then tell the B2D job which Media Set to use. BackupExec Media Sets are a constant cause of confusion, as you would intuitively expect that you must add media to the set in order to use it. However what actually happens is that BE adds the media it uses to the set specified in the job after the job runs.

We have this configuration for a SQL Transaction Log backup that runs before the main backup job, works fine.
        BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
        sigpic
        Cruachan's Blog

Comment

under the "media" tab, i have a number of media sets, I'll use two examples:

Under Devices, I have a Backup-To-Disk configured, with hte name of 'Exchange'. (This is my L: drive, but that's not really relevant)

ExchangeDaily & ExchangeFull.

If I right click on Exchange full and select properties, I get a General tab, with "Media Set Periods"
          Overwrite Protection Period is set to 10 Weeks.
          Append period is set to Infinite - Allow append.

If I view the properties for ExchangeDaily, I have:
          Overwrite Protection of 12 weeks
          Append period of Infinite - Allow Append

I now go to Job Setup, and review my job "Exchange_Full_Weekly" and view the properites of the job. Under "Device and Media" I have chosen device "Exchange" and media set "ExchangeFull"
          I also check "Append to media, overwrite if no appendable media is available"

The end result of this is, on Friday night, Backup Exec backs up our mail boxes to the L: drive. First, it tries to use free space. If no free space is available, then it tries to overwrite files that are older than 10 weeks. If it cannot do that, it fails.

Does this help you at all ?
          Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Thanks for the usefull replys. I'll create a new media set but still write to the removable backup to disk folder.

[edit 5-12-09 09:42]

it seems to work, it now deletes the older backups on the drive (on this machine 7 sets).
            Last edited by jantje.vlaam; 5th December 2009, 09:43.

Comment

Are the removable drives formatted as FAT32 or NTFS? Remember, FAT32 limits your file size to 4GB!
              Last edited by teiger; 7th December 2009, 10:14. Reason: typo
              TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
              http://www.wintra.co.il/
              sigpic
              Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Working...
              X