Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Transfering SBS Server 2003 to new hardware/system?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transfering SBS Server 2003 to new hardware/system?

What is the best or recommended way to transfer a Windows Server 2003 (SBS) from current server (hardware) to new server?
    Both are DELL PowerEdge, current is DELL PowerEdge 1500SC and new is DELL PowerEdge 2600.

Will cloning with software such as Norton Ghost work? If I understand correctly the new versions should recognize RAID? Will that work or could it have driver or other problems?

Or by doing backup and restore method?

Re: Transfering SBS Server 2003 to new hardware/system?

no - you can't clone it straight from a 1500SC to a 2600 - they are different generation machines.

best bet is probably a 'swing' migration I beleive the term is ?
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

What is "swing migration"?

Comment

Also can you explain why I should not clone? I assume MS Server 2003/SBS should have the RAID drivers preinstalled in most cases and I could install the others after cloning?

Comment

the 2600 and 1500 are different generation of Dell servers - a 6th gen and 5th gen respectively iirc.

You'll probabaly find the RAID cards in them are different, the chipsets will be different, and the processor revisions are different. (Also, a 6th Gen is even now, quite old.. is this 2600 a new server you just purchased ?)

Put it this way.. I created a sysprep clone of a latitude E6500 laptop back in May. I used the same image on a second E6500 in July. I tried to deploy the same image, on a 3rd and 4th E6500 just 2 weeks ago.
          Before I continue, I nede to stress that these are the SAME item, ordered from our "standard" item on the premier page. The only difference is the two new ones have larger hard drives.
          DEspite the fact that these are same generation, and in fact, supposable same issue, models, the sysprep doesn't fully work on the 2 new laptops. In particular, the chipset drivers aren't right, and I cannot get the modem working no matter what.
          I'm comfortable enough working around that for a laptop. But you're talking about a clone of your production, critical business server. Are you prepared to do that ?
          Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

I see what you are saying, I wasn't sure about it but now you explained and thanks for the advise.

So could you tell me about the method you suggested previously?

Also if you could maybe post a link to instructions/information on how to do it. Thanks.

Comment

i'm not 100% sure on how it's done - I've never done it, I've just seen it mentioned a few times on here.

www.sbsmigration.com is the first google hit i get for swing migration..
              might be some doco about it in the archives here.. ?

Comment

I have done Swing Migration more than a few times. I believe this is the best method as it leaves your original server in production and almost untouched until the last minute, whilst you work on your new server.
                TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
                http://www.wintra.co.il/
                sigpic
                Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

So this Swing Migration is a software? I wouldn't really wan't to spend money and time to learn the program... Is there any other good way, what about simply restoring a backup that includes system state and files?

Comment

what you COULD also try, is something like Backup Exec for SBS and the IDR functionality.

IDR creates a windows image cd, which you can use to restore to different hardware.. it then works in concert with your existing backups. You must have a 'full' type backup however.

I haven't fully looked into that site, but swing migration is more of a methodology than a program i think

Comment

Swing migration is a procedure to be followed - like a cook book. But it also has lots of explanations of what and why you are doing it so you can undersatnd the procedure. It has a few scripts to help if you buy the "pro" version, but for $200 or less it has to be worth 2-4 hours of your time, depending on hourly rates.
                      TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
                      http://www.wintra.co.il/
                      sigpic
                      Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Originally posted by teiger View Post
                        Swing migration is a procedure to be followed - like a cook book. But it also has lots of explanations of what and why you are doing it so you can undersatnd the procedure. It has a few scripts to help if you buy the "pro" version, but for $200 or less it has to be worth 2-4 hours of your time, depending on hourly rates.
                        what he said. We'd definitely charge you way more than $200 to do a migration..

Comment

Working...
                        X