Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Server has network connection/service problem please help!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Server has network connection/service problem please help!

Hi, I just found this forum by searching and though I'd try to post here so hopefully someone can help me with this problem that a server has.

Basically it is an SBS 2003 server, I have Exchange running, network shares and it has remote access. A few days ago I was at another location and remoted in to this server to see a few settings, and I don't think I've changed anything but I might have by accident. Anyway suddenly the connection got lost and when I came to the location where the server a lot of things stopped working. I called Microsoft support and the support person helped me get it up but seems like some of the things don't work again even though I don't think I changed anything.

Anyway right now Exchange works but only on OWA (Outlook Web Access), it doesn't work on local computers that it used to work on. Remote Access is not working either, not from outside not from inside. And Network Shares are not accessible either, even if I type the server address in the address bar.

I tried to do some searching and will have to search more if I don't get an answer here, but I don't seem to be able to find anything helpful by searching so far, nothing relevant, and I really need to get this working, I'd be very thankful for an answer that will help me fix this problem.

Re: Server has network connection/service problem please help!

while this has probably all been caused by the one thing.. the best way to attack this at the moment, based on what you've told us so far, is one thing at a time.

So - pick an issue - any one will do, then come back and describe the issue - for instance, Exchange doesn't work - ok, great.. how did users connect before - was it a direct exchange connection ?
    What is in your error logs in regards to exchange, or anything else ?

Do you have an "as-built" document or similar, that you can compare how it should be, to what it is ?
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Thanks for replying and attempting to help!

Well I am not sure what to start with but lets do network shares?
      I have a few mapped networked shares on several computers, some are hard/manually mapped but most through a batch file.
      All was working but now it doesn't, and even if I try to browse the networks/computers I cannot access the server, even if I type the address manually.

As far as Exchange it used to work both by local network connection and by Outlook Web Access, right now it only works by OWA.
      I will try to look at the logs and see if I can notice something un-usual and perhaps helpful but before I haven't seen much help from logs.

One thing I would like to ask is about Routing and Remote Access. (This might as well be the problem?) This feature is supposed to be enabled right?
      Because currently it seems to be disabled/turned-off and when I tried to turn it on that doesn't fix the problems. Maybe I am missing something in here that I don't understand?
      If I remember correctly that is what I was messing with before the problems started occuring...

See the problem is that I setup this server and a few others just from my own experience, research online and from work/other people. I really need to read a few books or take classes to learn some of the things I don't know. So if I ask something that an IT person should know please be understanding.

Comment

So start by posting here the results of:

ipconfig /all

from the server and a workstation.

Next rerun the CEICW and the Remote Access Wizard from Server Manager/To-do list.
        Report back.
        TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
        http://www.wintra.co.il/
        sigpic
        Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Wow I think just solved the problem, seems like I was really focusing on the services thinking that some service stopped working or some update caused something. The IP settings on the server seemed fine. When I looked at the IP settings on the client computer to the server, as teiger asked to post the settings I noticed that the DCHP was set wrong it and it was connecting to the other server instead of the main one, once I turn off and disable DCHP on second server and renew IP on client computer it started working and I can see all shares and Exchange connects.
          I think the Routing and Remote Access serivce was turned off also for some reason.
          Anyway I am not fully sure what happened with Remote and a few other things but now I see why I couldn't connect on local network, at least thats what I think now happened...
          Thanks for help everyone.

Comment

See! Helping you to help yourself It's always a pleasure - and thanks for posting back to let us know.
            TIA

sigpic
            Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

Comment

Yes it all seems to work fine now, thanks. I do have one little problem, perhaps you might know how to fix it. Basically on the computer that is joined to the domain I can access the shares no problem, but if I browse/Explore the network I cannot see the server or it's name. If I type \\servername\share then it works. However on another computer that is not in the domain I cannot browse to the server or it's contents and even if I type the server name it doesn't work, and it used to work before. Any ideas?

Comment

sounds like a browsing issue for the first one..

the second one - with a non-domain computer, sounds like a security thing.. i wouldn't hugely concerned about that myself..

is there anything notable in your event log >?
                Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Originally posted by tehcamel View Post
                  sounds like a browsing issue for the first one..

the second one - with a non-domain computer, sounds like a security thing.. i wouldn't hugely concerned about that myself..

is there anything notable in your event log >?
                  Well the problem now is that any computer out of the domain cannot access the server or it's file shares, neither can it join domain using the wizard, the http://servername/connectcomputer is not accessible.
                  But the computers that were already in the domain prior to the problem can access everything fine, except if browsing the network by explore option the server is still not visible in the list of computers, but others are.

I checked all of the standard services and they seem to be running, can't find anything noticeable in event log either. Maybe someone can tellme what services i responsible for the described above and/or other solution for this poblem because right now I got a new computer I can't join to the network until this problem i solved. (tried to join it manually doesn't seem to work either)

Comment

Can anyone help me with this?

Comment

Apply Updates and reboot the Server.
                      1 1 was a racehorse.
                      2 2 was 1 2.
                      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by alex85 View Post
                        Well the problem now is that any computer out of the domain cannot access the server or it's file shares, neither can it join domain using the wizard, the http://servername/connectcomputer is not accessible.
                        [snip]
                        I got a new computer I can't join to the network until this problem i solved. (tried to join it manually doesn't seem to work either)
                        Open the Server Manager/Client Computers. Add the new computer(s) there via the wizard. If the name you want already exists, remove it and add it again.
                        Check that the clocks of the computers are synchronised to the server and in the same time zone (including DST). If you haven't done so already, update the server and the workstation with the latest Microsoft Updates - there have been a number of DST updates recently. Ensure only one NIC (wired, recommended) is functioning on the workstation(s) and try again with /connectcomputer.

Otherwise, download Support Tools to the server and run "dcdiag" - post results here.
                        TIA

sigpic

Comment

(Bugger, read that one wrong).

In addition to what Steven has suggested above about the one NIC, make sure any Bluetooth is disabled if you have a problem. I have had a Bluetooth device detected as an additional Network Adapter and as such /connectcomputer would not work.
                          1 1 was a racehorse.
                          2 2 was 1 2.
                          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
                          X