Backup solution to SBS 2003 ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Backup solution to SBS 2003 ?

I'm running Sbs 2003 as a domain controller with Exchange 2003.
    If SBS goes down, what can i put in place as a backup solution so that users can still access the internet and the network. I have made another server a domain controller. I've got two other servers as well.

Please assist.
    thanks
    Yanchri

Re: Backup solution to SBS 2003 ?

Make the additional Domain Controller a GC and make sure DNS is configured properly on the server and also the replica domain controller is added as an Alternative DNS server for all the clients.
    This could provide some sort of redundancy (Authentication and Internet) until the problem with the SBS have been addressed.
    You'll also have to think about providing some sort of DHCP redundancy.
    Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

I believe the SBS Server is the only GC allowed in an SBS Domain. (Steven ? ) It is greedy and must have all the Roles for itself.

If your SBS Server goes down, how are the clients supposed to connect to the Network. I assume by Network you mean programs and data that is stored on the Server.

To keep Internet access, have your Router as the Secondary DNS (this can be done through DHCP ). As long as you don't power off your workstations your IPs should remain live for 6 or 7 days (I forget the default lease period). If you are running ISA on SBS then you would also have to assign a second Default Gateway.

Best option, make daily backups, prepare for the worst and hope for the best. Alternatively, SBS2008 has a real slick recovery from a USB HDD Backup. Not done it myself but a colleague has and was extremely impressed.
      1 1 was a racehorse.
      2 2 was 1 2.
      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

AFAIK the restriction is only on the FSMO roles, not adding additional GCs
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I don't think there are restrictions in GC. Also If you have the router as a secondary DNS server, you are going to have problems doing internal name resolutions (Unless for some reason the router supports SRV records, Dynamic updates and hosts a secondary zone of your internal namespace zone stored in your SBS server. Very rare, If not existent)
          Best option IMO is to have the DNS zone stored in AD and configure the clients to have the Replica Domain Controller as an alternative DNS server.

Also, although the title was Backup solution, the contents of your post suggested you were looking more for a redundancy solution (although they closely tied).
          But yeah, these only apply to make sure you have continued limited service until the SBS box is restored.
          Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
            I believe the SBS Server is the only GC allowed in an SBS Domain. (Steven ? ) It is greedy and must have all the Roles for itself.
            Not that greedy! You can have multiple GC - but you only realy need GC for help with expanding Exchange distribution lists - and since your Exchange is down .....

I believe that the time is always best spent on getting your SBS backup ASAP and having a good DR plan in place in case of the worst!
            TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
            http://www.wintra.co.il/
            sigpic
            Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Thanks Steven. Always nice to learn something from you.
              1 1 was a racehorse.
              2 2 was 1 2.
              1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
              2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
              X