Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Remote Management of SBS2003 - Best Practice ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remote Management of SBS2003 - Best Practice ?

Hi everyone

Does anyone sit at home and administer a remote SBS 2003 server ?

I connect routinely with via a VPN connection and access email and drives but would like to do a bit of server admin.

Any recommendations ?

Many thanks
    DT

Remote Desktop works well for me when the owner remembers to close his connection correctly. The hard part is trying to reach through the Net to pop a CD into the tray.
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

In addition http://www.smallbizserver.net/Default.aspx?tabid=241
      Good Luck

Shai

MCSE 2003+Security;MCSE 2003+Messaging
      HP ASE;HP AIS;HP APS

So, from me to all of you out there, wherever you are, remember:
      the light at the end of the tunnel may be you. Good Day!

Comment

Remote SBS 2003

Thanks for the replies. I use the Remote Workplace a lot already for Outlook Web Access but I want to be able to connect to the server to do some admin tasks as if I was logged on locally. Can I do it through IE ? Is Remote Desktop the way to go ?

Thanks DT

Comment

Re: Remote Management of SBS2003 - Best Practice ?

RWW (Remote Web Workplace) configures itself according to who you are. If you are a user on the domain, you will get a menu option to Connect to my COMputer at work, if an adminstrator, then you will get a further option to Adminster the server and, if applicable, administer application (terminal) servers in the domain.
          Of course, you can use plain RDP, but remember to patch for the latest vulnerabilities.
          TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
          http://www.wintra.co.il/
          sigpic
          Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77
            Remote Desktop works well for me when the owner remembers to close his connection correctly. The hard part is trying to reach through the Net to pop a CD into the tray.
            You can map the disk drives to the remote desktop session, then you can put a CD in the local tray allowing you to install software or read data from the local CD
            Good Luck

Shai

MCSE 2003+Security;MCSE 2003+Messaging
            HP ASE;HP AIS;HP APS

So, from me to all of you out there, wherever you are, remember:
            the light at the end of the tunnel may be you. Good Day!

Comment

I use RDP through a VPN for my remote maintenance and find it sufficient.

Comment

Hi everyone - sorry for not coming back earlier but holidays etc.

I downloaded the RDP 5.2 and in minutes was administering my server from home.

Clearly with the VPN there is some delays but it sure beats going to the office.

Thank you to all that offered advice in this thread.

David

Comment

I would just add that IMHO RWW is safer than VPN
                  TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
                  http://www.wintra.co.il/
                  sigpic
                  Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Hi teiger,

You said "I would just add that IMHO RWW is safer than VPN" so I will log in and try RWW. I do use RWW to check mail etc as a user but had not attempted to log in as administrator. I will try it to test it. But in either case I will connect via a VPN link so did you mean RWW is safer than RDP ?

Thanks.

David

Comment

Working...
                    X