Upgrade to Server 2008 R2. Sensible?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrade to Server 2008 R2. Sensible?

I'm running a Windows 2003 SBS server. Now I can get my hands (free, legally) on Windows Server 2008 R2. Is there any sense in upgrading?
    The alternative would probabely be upgrading to SBS 2008, which will cost me.

Re: Upgrade to Server 2008 R2. Sensible?

And Exchange Server 2007 will cost how much? Then add in the Windows and Exchange CALS? Or are they all free also.
    What problem are you trying to solve? What is "wrong" with SBS 2003 that you need to upgrade?
    I advise people to take a look at the overall "business model" of what they are hoping to achieve - unless it is just for playing with or learning!
    TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
    http://www.wintra.co.il/
    sigpic
    Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

aren't there ways to migrate CALS, etc. etc. to a new machine?

I know that's the case for migrating SBS 2003 to SBS 2008, but that's as far as my knowledge goes...

Comment

Migrating CALs? You aren't getting confused with the Migration Packs are you?

Migrating SBS 2003 to SBS 2008 refers to moving (migrating) settings and data from the old to the new Server. You still need new CALs for the new Operating System. I think you will find that the CAL is tied to the O/S it was issued to.

Someone will correct me if I am wrong, but if you upgrade from plain old Server 2003 to Server 2008, you need 208 CALs. If you had Exchange 2003 installed on Server 2003 and decided to reinstall it on Server 2008 then I believe you could still use the Exchange 2003 CALs on Server 2008. Exchange CALs and Server CALs are two different Client Access Licences.
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
          Someone will correct me if I am wrong, but if you upgrade from plain old Server 2003 to Server 2008, you need 208 CALs. If you had Exchange 2003 installed on Server 2003 and decided to reinstall it on Server 2008 then I believe you could still use the Exchange 2003 CALs on Server 2008. Exchange CALs and Server CALs are two different Client Access Licences.
          You're correct.. 2008 you need new CALs. your 2003 cals aren't any good..
          Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Working...
          X