Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Get emails out of SBS03 (which is in migration mode)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Get emails out of SBS03 (which is in migration mode)

Hi,

I migrated SBS2003 to SBS2008 and after Exchange data was migrated, and a disk connected to the new SBS2008 box to do a backup, the SBS2008 box and disk were stolen. We still have the previous SBS2003 box, in migration mode, and we have not yet demoted it.

So when we try to connect Outlook to this server, it automatically reconfigures Outlook to point to the new 08 server instead, as designed, because it is in migration mode.

How can we get emails back out of this 03 Exchange database? Is there a way to tell this server "You are not in migration mode any more, just allow us to connect Outlook to you" ?

I have looked at restoring their previous '03 NTBackup files but whenever I try to catalog a file it says it does not contain a valid backup. So we are stuck with just the 03 server in migration mode.
    Best wishes,
    PaulH.
    MCP:Server 2003; MCITP:Server 2008; MCTS: SBS2008

Re: Get emails out of SBS03 (which is in migration mode)

SBS MVP Calvin McLennan pointed me to http://www.repairmybackup.com/ as a possibilty to get to the data in one of your previous backups.

HTH
    TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
    http://www.wintra.co.il/
    sigpic
    Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Thanks Teiger, I'll give that a go.
      Best wishes,
      PaulH.

Comment

You could also try to ExMerge the mail out of 2003, but I have a feeling that won't work - it will get redirected to your stolen server.

BTW for others and future reference, there are two "lessons" to be learnt here: first, make sure you have a working backup from as many stages as possible; two consider doing Swing Migration as it leaves your production server intact, as a disaster recovery resource, if/when the worst happens.

I feel for you, Paul as this must be a terrible situation for you!
        TIA

sigpic
        Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

Comment

Thanks for the sentiment and yes, you're right on all counts. I did not appreciate a Microsoft migration from SBS2003->SBS2008 renders the Exchange part of the old server inaccessible.

I did manage to get a backup working, onto similar but different hardware but it's a week old and they have new orders that came in during the week.

When I am back on site in the morning I will try to use Exmerge on the old server but I do know their 3 main users have boxes over 3GB so exmerge would fail on that count.

Is there any known way to get the old server out of "Migration mode" or whatever it's called? Even if I can get OWA talking to it would be a great help.

We have since put a whole new SBS2008 box in, on a brand new domain, with all the walking round workstations to join them to the new domain & profile copying that entails!
          Best wishes,
          PaulH.

Comment

If I am not mistaken, then you can still try ExMerge - just limit it to certain dates, before and after, so that it creates pst files < 2Gb. I am sure that I read that somewhere.
            It is just that I believe that ExMerge also uses MAPI and therefore may well be redirected to the "new" server!
            TIA

sigpic

Comment

Good idea, and I didn't know exmerge could filter, so that's a great tip.

Sadly the old server says it cannot mount the mailbox database, so Exmerge says there are no mailboxes. I realise I have to mount first before even trying exmerge.

I contracted an Exchange 2003 expert to look at the old server to get him to try and mount the database, but he gave up saying he was stumped. He said the migration process has totally changed the structure of the exchange 2003 server and rendered it inaccessible. He didn't charge me, happily!
              Best wishes,
              PaulH.

Comment

I've sworn by Ontrack Power Controls to extract data from mdb files or Exchange backups.

NOT cheap but can be lifesaving!
                Tom Jones
                MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                IT Trainer / Consultant
                Ossian Ltd
                Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Have you (PaulH) had any luck completely restoring the original Server - even to a virtual machine?
                  TIA

sigpic

Comment

Sadly not. Prior to doing the whole migration I exmerged Exchange 2003 to pst files. 4 users failed, because they were over 2GB. So I have restored everyone except those 4 users. After the originally new server was replaced, and we did a clean install, all new emails (and all emails from all the restored PST files) went nicely onto the new-new server. So I am left with 4 users who are missing a whole bunch of emails, but some of those have older pst files lurking on their hard drives that at least have contacts in them.

The issue has thus been reduced to a much more manageable level, with the client reluctant to spend more money on what amounts now to 2 months lost emails. Not a solution, I realise, but a compromise in business terms!
                    Best wishes,
                    PaulH.

Comment

Maybe a bit late but here is a nice script for handling PST files >2GB :
                      http://theessentialexchange.com/blog...ge-server.aspx
                      Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Looks great, L4ndy, I can put that to use on other 2003 servers that I support. Cheers.
                        Best wishes,
                        PaulH.

Comment

Working...
                        X