No announcement yet.

Restore sharepoint onto new server

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Restore sharepoint onto new server

I had a SBS Companyweb sharepoint site. The server has crashed and I need to restore the companyweb site onto a Windows Server 2003 STD server which has a different server name.

The only files I have are the SQL config and content databases. I assumed it would have been as simple as creating a new sharepoint site with the same content database name and then switching over the database files, but this is not the case. What should I do?

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by andrew.r; 18th November 2009, 08:25.

Re: Restore sharepoint onto new server

You search for the KB article which tells you how to do it. (I can assure you, there is one - at least)

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
    Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Re: Restore sharepoint onto new server

I had previously found several KB articles and other docs, such as these. The problem is, they all require the use of stsadm / smigrate, or require the SBS intranet component be installed. I can't do any of these because the original server is not recoverable, and the replacement server has a different name and does not run SBS.

The only things I have are the content and config databases, so I need to rebuild sharepoint with those.