Latest sysprep for SBS 2003 R2 SP2

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Latest sysprep for SBS 2003 R2 SP2

Does anybody know where I can download the latest sysprep for SBS 2003 R2 SP2 ?
    The version on my CD is for SP1.
    I can find a sysprep for Windows Server 2003 R2 SP2, but have read that this version should not be used for SBS.
    Regards,
    SnijdeA.

Re: Latest sysprep for SBS 2003 R2 SP2

'Scuse my ignorance, but why does sysprep care what OS you are using?
    You can't really sysprep a DC to the best of my knowledge - you can't even sysprep a workstation pre-joined to a domain!
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/299840 seems to support what I am saying if you look at the bottom and see the systems supported.
    TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
    http://www.wintra.co.il/
    sigpic
    Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Originally posted by teiger View Post
      'Scuse my ignorance, but why does sysprep care what OS you are using?
      I didn't know that either, but on http://forums.msrportal.com/showthread.php?t=9792 it states "Verify that you are using the SBS2003 version of the sysprep tools. The Windows XP or Server 2003 versions of this tool does not work properly with SBS"

You can't really sysprep a DC to the best of my knowledge - you can't even sysprep a workstation pre-joined to a domain!
      http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/299840 seems to support what I am saying if you look at the bottom and see the systems supported.
      1. If you can't sysprep a DC, why is sysprep delivered on an SBS2003 CD then ?
      2. I don't see how that article supports what you say, as it states "applies to Microsoft Windows Small Business Server 2003 Standard Edition".
      3. When using the vmware convert tool and choosing SBS2003, convert needs sysprep, and I guess the convert tool knows SBS2003 is a DC.
      Regards,
      SnijdeA.

Comment

Originally posted by SnijdeA View Post
        2. I don't see how that article supports what you say, as it states "applies to Microsoft Windows Small Business Server 2003 Standard Edition".
        If you look at the "Applies To" section, it references various Server 2003 products, XP and SBS 2003 products - meaning it is not OS specific
        TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
        http://www.wintra.co.il/
        sigpic
        Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

there is a "new" sysprep for xp sp3.
          I believe that's the newest, it was recommended to use the updated sysprep for XP sp3 even though it should be OS independent.
          Please give points where appropriate

<I dont create ready scripts for you, but I'm willing to point you in the right direction>

Comment

If you look at the "Applies To" section, it references various Server 2003 products, XP and SBS 2003 products - meaning it is not OS specific
            Incorrect, this article talks about "How to use Sysprep" and not specifically about operating systems.
            It does not say that there is no difference between the different available versions of sysprep.
            Regards,
            SnijdeA.

Comment

Just to clarify a few points, you can sysprep a DC or a client joined to a domain, but the very definition of what sysprep does renders this pointless. Sysprep will remove all unique data from the computer it is run on, which includes GUIDs, SIDs, Domain Membership, Computer Name and anything else that uniquely identifies the machine. It is designed for large scale deployments of operating systems, and as SBS by it's own rules must be the root of a Forest and the only SBS machine in that Forest then running Sysprep on SBS makes little sense. DCs are not image-deployable as DCs - it is necessary to deploy member servers and then use logon scripts to run dcpromo to automate the process as much as possible.

Now, I've checked my own SBS 2003 R2 DVD and there is a sysprep on there. It's version 5.2.3790.1830 and the Readme identifies it as being for Windows Server 2003 SP1. I assume you're doing a P2V conversion as you mention VMWare. However given what sysprep does I can't see this working with SBS. Please correct me if I'm wrong, I know very little about VMWare so I don't know if it actually runs sysprep or just needs it to be there.
              BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
              sigpic
              Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Yes, I did a P2V and it gave me an error when it could not find the proper sysprep.
                I used the sysprep on the SBS 2003 CD and the P2V was successfull and my SBS 2003 has been running on ESX for a couple of days now.
                Regards,
                SnijdeA.

Comment

Working...
                X